1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Designing a poster in lightroom

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by alaios, Jul 18, 2016.

1. alaios

alaios Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    Hi all,
    I wanted to ask if designing a poster in lightroom would be possible or not. My idea is to use some of the photos that are available in my catalogue to fill in a yellow background with some text for example. Do you know if it is reasonable to try such a design in lightroom?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply
    Regards
    Alex

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You can use the Print module (with a Custom Package) to do something like that, and then print to jpeg. That does have its limitations, though. In principle, Lightroom is not the ideal tool for it.

3. alaios

alaios Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    Actually I need an A4 poster type. Text and few images position "somewhere" in the page. That should be within lightroom limits, I guess. Sharing over internet mostly but I guess that can be also printable at reasonable sizes.
    Regards
    Alex

4. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    A sad limitation of Lr is how crippled the options are for placing user selectable metadata on a page for print. If you explore the Slideshow module you will find they have an excellent engine for placing and formatting metadata anywhere on the screen. Requests to improve this situation in Lr by Adobe have been ignored for years.

However, with a little imagination, some people can meet their needs by using the Identity Plate in the Print module. There are tons of tutorials on how to do this with a simple search of the web. Photoshop (if you have a CC subscription) will provide much better options as will InDesign. More sophisticated options exist by use of Lr plug-ins and scripts.

5. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If it's only A4, then you could also try the Book module. Just make one book page that will be your poster, and ignore the cover pages. Print to PDF or JPEG. A book page gives you a little bit more flexibility with text, but still not full flexibility to place text and photos anywhere you like and in any size you like.

6. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Very good idea.

7. davidedric

davidedric Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If you have access to Microsoft Word, that would be my recommendation (or perhaps PowerPoint). Alternatively, you could download the free beginner's version of PagePlus from Serif.

Export the images from Lightroom, and you have a lot of flexibility in how you arrange the images and text.

Lightroom really isn't the right tool for the job.

Dave

8. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I create a text file from Lr (containing the file name, folder, title, Caption, etc) using the plugin called ListView.

I have pre-formed Word templates and use Mail Merge with this text file to create word or pdf documents, formatted to my needs. After my initial setup, I have a finished pdf in a few clicks, which may contain a single image or hundreds of images depending on my needs.

9. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Your statement, "If you explore the Slideshow module you will find they have an excellent engine for placing and formatting metadata anywhere on the screen", suggests one might find selectable items under Options on right side of module Slideshow in Lr. I do not see any such options. Could you enlighten me on how one would "place and format metadata anywhere on the (slideshow?) screen". If the printed metadata does not get exported with the slideshow then it will be of marginal benefit to me.

10. I-See-Light

I-See-Light Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    "Could you enlighten me on how one would place and format metadata"

Under the slideshow window- click on ABC.
    The box that opens beside ABC might show "Custom Text:" with a drop-down menu. This menu is your link to the type of data you want to show in the text box. "Edit" is the most powerful menu item as you get a text template editor to construct the text.
    Multiple text boxes are possible- just click away from one text box and click ABC again.
    Each text box can be set with font and colour, size is determined by dragging the text box 'handles', or positioned by dragging within the text box.
    Note "Custom Text" is global- it appears on every slide in the show. All the other 'metadata' options pull the info from each photos metadata.
    ScreenShot002.jpg

11. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Adobe have done a very good job of providing tools to place metadata on the Slideshow.

It is so sad (and why are Adobe so stubborn) that they do not add the same feature to the Print module.

Anyway....

1. Make sure the Toolbar (T) is active in the Slideshow module.
    2. Select the Text tool (ie ABC)
    3. Select the Metadata field you want to use.
    4. Place the metadata field where you want. This is an exquisite piece of coding as you can offset the position from generic locations such as Bottom Middle, Top Right etc., to optimise placement based on Font Size, etc..

Again, a real shame this feature is not in the Print Module and the reason I have to make round trips to InDesign to replicate this process for Prints, that should be self contained within Lr.

upload_2016-12-12_10-46-32.png