1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Deleted but recovered photos

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by joanchop, Dec 4, 2016.

1. joanchop

joanchop New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Hi
    I am new to this website and Lightroom so hope this makes sense!!
    I imported photos from an SD card saving them in two places, in folders, on external hard drive and C Drive. Whilst working on the photos using the photos on the C drive, I accidentally removed all the photos from Lightroom and folder showed 0. Still allwas not lost as I still had them on the external h/d.
    Tried copying and pasteing photos from external h/d to folder on C drive, but for some reason Lightroom still shows folder on C drive as empty and now looks at the external h/drive for the photos in the catalogue. How can I get Lightroom to 'see' the photos on the C drive?

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Lightroom shows this folder as empty because you imported the photos from the external HD. Lightroom does not know that these are the same photos. You can solve this in the following way: Right-click on the folder of the external disk in the Lightroom folder panel. In the contextual menu choose 'Update Folder Location' and navigate to the folder on the C: drive. Select it. If Lightroom gives you a dialog that the folder already exists and asks you to merge it, click 'Yes'.

3. joanchop

joanchop New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Hi
    It worked!! Thanks for that. Although, it did empty the folder on the external h/drive. But that's OK as I can copy and paste the photos back to that, unless, of course there is a solution for that too?

4. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Don't use Lightroom to copy those images. I suppose that the external HD is just a backup, so Lightroom does not need to know anything about it. Copy the images in the Finder.