Default Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkiemom

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, I'm Norma and new to the forum. I had LR3 for about 3 weeks before LR4 came out (played with the beta before it came out officially). Love LR4...and knock on wood, I never seemed to have any of the problems that were associated with 4.

My question is I was changing some preferences and noticed under Default Catalog, it is looking to the LR3 catalog photos. I deleted LR3 so I want to change to the LR4 catalog. But...I notice there are 2. One says LR4 beta catalog.lrcat and the other says LR4 beta catalog-2.lrcat. Which should I be using...and why does it still say beta?

Yes, I want all my photos to be imported to the G drive (an external where all my photos reside). What I'm also curious about is what happens when 2013 comes around. Do I have to make a folder for 2013 or will LR make it automatically when it imports? I think I made the one for 2012...

You don't need to change a thing and LR will create the 2013 folder when the time comes. You are giving LR this instruction when you set the destination up to Organize by date and use the date format "YYYY/MM-DD"

LRScreen40.jpg

Although, it may be a good idea to keep all your year-folders under one top-level folder, perhaps called "photos":
G:\photos\2011
G:\photos\2012
G:\photos\2013

This makes it easier to for example make backups. All your original photos will be under G:\photos so there is only one folder to backup.

By the way: where are your old photos? There doesn't seem to be a 2012-folder on G:. Nor a 2011-folder. And so on. What you are trying to do now will be a new storage structure, from what I can see. Is this what you want?

OK, now you are showing something different. In your last post you have a 2012 folder under "G:\Lightroom\My pictures and other". In your previous post you showed 2012 directly under G:\. Which are you planning on using? I assume all your old photos are in the folders under "My pictures and other"? On the other hand, you have a lot of folder showing a photo count of zero.

Robert, the zero count is likely because "Show Photos in Sub-folders" is unchecked.

The zero count is because "subfolders" isn't checked.

They should all be under "my pictures and others" (I need to change that to my pictures) but for some reason back then I don't know why there were showing up under Lightroom/2012. First they were showing up under C, then LR/2012 and now they are okay I believe. I had to change the destination. Maybe that made the difference. I hope so. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back