1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Crop of a Crop (4x6 to 5x7) without Automatic Reset

Discussion in 'Developing your Photos' started by EOTB2017, Jul 13, 2017.

1. EOTB2017

EOTB2017 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    My camera shoots 4x6 images. I usually edit them at this original aspect ratio, and there's usually some cropping.

Sometimes I want to make 5x7 greeting cards or 8x10 enlargements, so I go to change the ratio from 4x6 to 5x7 or 8x10. Lightroom changes it, but first resets the crop to the original full image.

How do you prevent that full reset so there's only one more step to get from the cropped 4x6 to 5x7 or 8x10?

2. JimHess43

JimHess43 Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Whenever the crop tool is activated in Lightroom the crop ratio defaults to the aspect ratio of the full image. To my knowledge, there isn't any way to change that. There have been a number of users who have requested that this functions differently. There is a forum where the developers monitor and pay close attention to what is discussed and requested. Here is the link where you can make your suggestion:
    Photoshop Family Customer Community

3. Ferguson

Ferguson Linwood Ferguson Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    An indirect way if you want to crop a bunch of images to the same aspect is crop one, copy just the crop aspect to all the others. This will put it in the same place on all of them, which is likely wrong, but it will be set to the right aspect ratio and you can just go from shot to shot and move it around.

EOTB2017 likes this.
  4. RikkFlohr

RikkFlohr Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru Adobe Representative

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You can also select all the 5x7s, for example, and crop them as a group using the Library module's Quick Develop panel. Then, as Linwood suggests, you can revisit the crop position on a shot-by-shot basis.

5. EOTB2017

EOTB2017 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    This worked just as needed. I can't believe I missed it. Thanks.