Home > Off-Topic Discussion > Equipment & Services Talk > Contour Design ShuttlePRO question

Contour Design ShuttlePRO question

1. Hi,

Does anybody have a Contour Design ShuttlePRO V2? If so could you advise how the ring/jogs work? Are they a mechanical type or are they smooth to rotate? I was wondering how much noise they made in operation, do they make a clicking sound when rotated?

Many thanks

2. I'll have a check at mine tonight, but I don't think it clicks or makes any loud noise.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

3. Many thanks that would be appreciated.

Looking at the jog dial it looks more like a scroll wheel on a mouse type of design rather than the ring on a Wacom type of design. My mouse scroll wheel makes a lot of clicking sounds.

I like the idea of having a jog dial on the left as having to keep moving the right hand and pen over to the buttons and ring on my Wacom means I take my eyes of the picture.

I think I would go for the smaller Contour Design ShuttleXpress, I doubt I could remember what all the buttons were programmed to do on the Contour Design ShuttlePRO V2 ;)

4. On the V2, the wheel has clicks, but they are barely perceptible. I have to listen intently to hear them. The jog ring that surrounds the wheel has no clicks at all.

5. hal's answer is right.

6. Thanks for the confirmation on lack of noise from the jog wheel. I have ordered the smaller Contour Design ShuttleXpress. Hopefully this has the same design of jog wheel as the bigger Pro version and will not have an annoying clicking sound when used.

7. Hi

My Contour Design ShuttleXpress has arrived today. A quick question to compare to the Contour Design ShuttlePRO V2 how does the inner wheel and outer ring work?

On my ShuttleXpress the outer ring is spring loaded so if I let go it returns to the default position. Does the outer ring on the ShuttlePRO V2 work the same way? If so what feature do you assign to the outer ring? I am not sure what I can use the outer ring on my ShuttleXpress for as it will return to the start as soon as I let go.

8. Yes. The outer ring has different positions that can have different keystrokes. I use +\- in small increments in the first zones increasing to ctr or alt to make bigger steps. That way small movements are for small adjustments, larger for larger. Have a look at earlier threads. Victoria also posted her lay out.

9. Thanks Victoria and Cerianthus for the feedback.

I am having fun and games with my Shuttle. Not sure if it is: user error, Windows problem or Shuttle driver problem. Basically I have:

zone 1 do something

zone 2 do something

Transition 2 to 1 do nothing

If I move the ring to zone 2 and then release the action in zone 1 is executed when the spring loaded ring returns to zero.

Causing me much grieve as I cannot find a way to stop this behaviour. Certainly I was not expecting it to work that way. I have had no response from Shuttle support today. Did you have the same problem and find a solution?

10. The exact settings I've used are on that linked page - and I used the Transitions to do something.

11. Thanks Victoria, I tried transitions and that worked with some commands. Unfortunately it does not work when you use the frequency option.

I am pretty sure this is bug in the driver, if Contour support do not come up with an answer soon I think I will send mine back for a refund. They are being helpful so I have hope that there is a resolution somewhere.

12. What settings are you trying to use with it then?

13. Just investigating buying one of these, but note that their web page hasn't been updated since April 16. Can anyone please confirm if they are compatible with latest Mac Sierra OS please? Think it'd work well for me since I already have Wacom Intuos, albeit an ancient one!

14. Managed to get reply from the manufacturers who said it's compatible with Sierra. Still interested to hear from active users whether or not this is actually the case!!

He asked which page was out of date, I sent link & screen shot, but it hasn't been changed.

15. Yes, it's fine on Sierra. (For anyone in the UK, hold that thought for a couple of weeks, as they're doing a special discounted code that'll go on my blog around the 21st)

16. Thanks so much for feedback and better still the tip. I can easily hang on until 21st or whenever it is - I might even have had my query to Wacom tech support (sent 3 days ago) answered by then! Wacom Intuos 3 isn't great on Sierra.

17. My big one's an Intuos 3 and I'm running Sierra. What problems are you having with it?

18. Thanks for your interest and offer of help Victoria. There are a few minor, niggling problems:
    1. When I wake computer (iMac) from sleep it takes some while for the tablet to be active, haven't put stop watch on it, but it's over a minute. So use track pad during this time.
    2. Sometimes the tablet doesn't see the wacom mouse, so have to get pen touch it on tablet before mouse is reactivated.
    3. When I update wacom driver to latest version, then the tablet isn't seen when I try to set it up from system preferences. So I'm using driver version 6.3.15-3 (apparently!)
    Reason I have all these options is because I once got RSI when only using a mouse, it came on within couple of days and took ages to heal. I'm left handed, use the pen with left but mouse and trackpad with right. Don't know why, but this is easiest for me!

19. I assume you've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the driver? I do see some delay in the driver loading from time to time, but usually on startup rather than waking from sleep.

20. Sorry for delay, been out in the foggy forest for dawn/morning shoot, not having a lie-in! Yes, I've done the complete uninstall/reinstall routine but still getting these problems. I can live with them, but had hoped some response would have been forthcoming from Wacom by now. Am off to SWPP trade show on Friday, so will see if they've got a stand there and I can ping them.

21. Finally got a response from Wacom yesterday. No great shakes & only posting as info. They sent me an old pdf showing how to remove driver & all components in different Mac OS folders. They did not address any of the specifics in my support case. Given that there's a similar thread on this forum for Windows users, I'm taking the view that Wacom have their head in the sand, or somewhere less pleasant from where there is no emission of solar energy, despite them thinking to the contrary!
    Saw a good price reduction on Behringer MIDI controller with motorised faders on eBay at about £270 instead of >£390 when I first looked. Definitely need to be sure that it's what's needed before shopping. Might see what the deal is on the Shuttle & then take stock.

22. It's live!
    shuttlepromouk2017.jpg
    Here's the link: ShuttlePRO v2 - Contour Design | United Kingdom

23. Thanks Victoria - bought and look forward to getting it installed, working and shaving hours off my working day....!

24. I'd spotted that you'd published your preferences as part of my homework when deciding which device to buy. Though happy to admit I'm not sad enough an anorak to have examined them & could choose differences as my Mastermind chosen subject! Intended starting with yours and deviating if necessary. Don't believe in reinventing the wheel and prefer to let others' expertise guide me. Apparently it's been sent, but no details on when it'll arrive.
    Topic du jour has been LR softproofing with you & Schewe....

25. Oh you poor thing, that's not a riveting day! ;)

26. There were plenty of digressions! Progress made, but not all hurdles overcome. Am about to do some searching on here for soft proofing with dual monitor setup. I'm ok with soft-proofing in PS, but since I'm using LR more, makes sense to be able to keep everything in same software.
    Back on topic for this thread once the hardware arrives.

27. The beast has landed, seems like a good bit of kit. I've now altered the settings to your preferred ones Victoria & labelled buttons. No Mr Numpty here didn't realise initially that the clear plastic covers were removable.... Yes I did write on them with permanent marker pen.... all cleaned up now.
    I'm finding that the shuttle ring is selecting a whole row of thumbnails in Grid view and acts as a coarse control in Develop module, e.g. exposure is in ±⅓ stops per click (with the jog at ±0.1). I've got it set to do nothing as per your list. Not sure where these different increments can be set.
    Two things spring to mind, the different behaviour in each module and secondly that it seems a bit of a waste of a major input control in Library module, can't think when I'd want to select images a row at a time. Is this what you find happens with yours? If it could be made to rattle through the images sequentially it'd be a much faster way of navigating.

28. So I've been playing a bit more & have discovered the option to use Shuttle for scrolling, but this then renders it inoperative in Develop module. Seems more homework is required. Have discovered that there's an option to export settings to a file so you can share settings with those who want to import them.

29. You can create two different sets of settings - one for Develop and one for Library - and switch between them using the buttons at the bottom. I put a request in when the product manager popped over from Norway a couple of months ago, to switch modules at the same time.

The Develop increments depend partly on whether you float over the slider or click in the values. The latter does the smallest values. Central dial should do up/down keys for 0.1 steps in exposure, or add the shift key for larger increments.

30. How does this switching work between sets of controls work Victoria? I can only do it via the tray icon. Or can you assign a contour key. My current set is still evolving. Tip for Baxter: save your controls as a html file and print that.

31. Thanks for the tip Gerard. I've now discovered the tray, but haven't yet worked out how to perform the module change. Do you mean assign buttons 12 & 13 to do this Victoria? It's certainly be quicker to do it from a button press, than mouse movement & click. Are you thinking that this needs to be the 'switch settings' or 'Open file' option and then specify the Shuttle settings for each module?
    Whilst the kit is well made, the documentation is very out of date, user manual refers to 'dot icon' which isn't there now, superseded by the gear cog. They ought to have a wider variety of YouTube tutorials, there are a few other people who've posted how to use. It soon becomes apparent how versatile the device is in the way which they've chosen to allocate controls.
    Show installed apps omits my Capture One, but I've seen how to add this - All in good time! Priority is LR.
    I've had too much for one day. Need to return with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow.

32. You can assign a contour key. I tried it, but I tend to use the keyboard for most Library stuff.

Module change is simply G or D keypress. One of the requests I made recently is to allow macros to do additional things - I think it was a suggestion made by a member here actually. That way you could set a macro to do "G then switch control set" as a single button press. You can't do that quite yet, but you can assign a button to do G or D, and another button to toggle control set.

They're a really tiny team and it works over a tonne of different programs, so they're struggling to keep up. The product manager and the main programmer popped over from Norway a couple of months ago, and came down to Southampton to see me, so we talked through a lot of this stuff.

I'm actually planning on doing a video on this shortly, so the issues you're running into are helping to shape the content.

33. Very helpful thanks! Still got L plates on. Trying to learn how to use ShuttlePRO & edit some new pictures. Progress is slower than without! Contacted Contact Design tech support this afternoon explaining situation. Got prompt response from USA which has suggested a change to your shuttle zone settings, i.e. to change it back to their default setting, to enable it to do what I'd like. Haven't had a chance to do it yet. They wanted to know why I'd started with your set!

Appreciate it's a massive task aiming to support and give info on all of those software suites. Suppose one route would be to work with people like yourself, experts in their field and devolve their training. However... QC must be a concern given the standard of many people who feel compelled to make instructional videos. It's like gold prospecting, trying to find the right nuggets of information - and avoid the right Nuggets who profess to be experts and mislead.

Will report back when I've progressed the situation. If you want to chat about video, then I have some ideas. It's a good idea you're proposing to cover it.

34. I'm all ears

35. Oh no you're not!
    Let me get further down the trail. The good news is that I've now resolved the Shuttle issue.
    So for me to be able to have the shuttle scrolling through photos in library & develop modules, I had to recreate all of the Shuttle Zone commands in the defaults. Couldn't find way to load defaults, copy/paste to my settings. Then when I tried it out, I was getting a hybrid behaviour of it selecting one or more rows above/below depending on how far I turned shuttle wheel whilst simultaneously scrolling through these selected photos. Nightmare! At this point I discovered the conflict with the Shuttle transitions which are in your settings. I reset these to 'Do Nothing' and now it works as I wanted it to.
    I've fed back to Contour Design support that there is a lack of diagrams or videos explaining terminology. Such as in this situation the difference between a shuttle zone and a shuttle transition. For the keystrokes I eventually found out how to access 'repeat key and Hold key' with all the other alternatives. Couple this with saving settings under specific clearly descriptive names & general tips for the Shuttle software would make a very useful, short video. Then you could introduce the LR specifics in a far quicker manner on following ones obviously signposting the existence of the first video and stating assumption that viewers are familiar with terminology & how to perform the basic operations. You clearly understand need for this type of thing because your book is well thought out & cross-referenced.

36. Tx Victoria, I missed that you could go up/down on settings. I'll have a go and see how handy that is in reality.

My settings tend to drift a bit: e.g. I did a lot of panoramas during my holidays, I like to stack my panoramas on top of their original pictures, so i put some stacks controls in the contour settings. Now these are less useful so i might change them again.

Baxter: for the modules, I use mostly the grid view (G) and develop (D). I normaly use the keyboard to switch, but also programmed a button to alternately press G and D. Disadvantage is that sometimes you first go to the same mode you're in. I also use a single button to open and close the view focus point plugin. To select that, I programmed a little macro. (First a sequence in one group of keystrokes E, ALT+L, U, F), then a second group ALT+F4 to close the window). The ability to add several keystrokes to one button is quite useful.

37. Thanks Gerard - I concur, nearly all my time is spent in G & D. Ability to use single button for complex keystrokes is very efficient (if only I knew some!). I've printed out the pdf of settings and am making notes as I work, a kind of requirement audit for the things which I use most. It makes sense to prioritise these. I've already programmed buttons on Wacom tablet for some functions, so don't want to duplicate. Am making list of things I'd like to be able to access readily and then will work out how to achieve them. It's then a case of working out where to place them on the Shuttle so the most used are most convenient.
    I did a similar process for my Fuji X series Q menu and it means that I can change modes easily with minimum button pushing.
    The interface is becoming more familiar and easy to change. Really need to find out how to save settings and be able to reload them. This would expand usability when working on different styles of photos or projects & needn't cause too much confusion. I should imagine it'd suit your situation with the Pano priority being one set, ready to reload next time you're doing lots of them.

38. Right-click on the LR icon (not the app name) in the left column of the settings page, and it'll let you export to a text file which can be reimported later.

39. Oh, so tempted. I almost bought a Behringer X-Touch Mini MIDI controller the other day from CEX - but didn't want something that large across my desk. This looks much more compact.

Does anyone use Keyboard Maestro on Mac - I've used it to really speed up my keywording workflow in Photomechanic, but not had much success in Lightroom. I wonder if using KM with the Shuttle will enable more complex keystrokes to be automated.

40. Interesting idea snapper. I do use Keyboard Maestro, but not with the Shuttle or with Lightroom. Were there particular strings of commands you had in mind?

41. No - nothing specific - just looked like it could make the whole thing very powerful - especially as KM can trigger other keystoke sequences or actions etc.

42. Mull it over, and if you come up with something you think KM can do that the Shuttle can't, let me know and I'll test it.

43. I've just heard that Shuttle US are now running the same deal (thanks Stephen!), but I'm not sure whether their discount code is LRQ20 or LQ20... their website keeps reverting to UK, so perhaps someone in the US could try both codes and see if one works?