• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Compatible with plugins & more storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicky

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi guys,

while I'm still waiting for the new Lightroom to install on my machine I was wondering if Adobe mentioned anything about backward-compatibility with plugins and templates? E.g. I'm using Excire to analyze my images, I guess this won't work with the new version.

Another thing that worries me, right now my images are taking roughly 5 TB space. I guess I could squeeze this a lot but I might have a hard time getting it down to 1TB. Of course I will never need all images in the cloud but to my understanding it means that if you like to manage the image with the new Lightroom it has to go to the cloud. Or does Adobe offer additional storage if needed?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

quicky

Hi Jason,

It's available now. You can install it as well ;)

Thanks to Victoria's comparison chart. My first question has already been answered. No plugin-support. So for now I'll stay with classic, but what about more storage? Did anyone hear about any options from Adobe?

Last edited:
We will see this confusion over and over in the time to come. It depends on what you call 'the new Lightroom'. If you mean 'Lightroom CC', then the answer is no. You can't use plugins at all in that application. If you mean Lightroom Classic CC then the answer is yes, most plugins will run fine. It's a similar upgrade as the Lr5 to Lr6 upgrade was.

We will see this confusion over and over in the time to come. It depends on what you call 'the new Lightroom'. If you mean 'Lightroom CC', then the answer is no. You can't use plugins at all in that application. If you mean Lightroom Classic CC then the answer is yes, most plugins will run fine. It's a similar upgrade as the Lr5 to Lr6 upgrade was.

I am pretty sure the dropped the CC on the classic going forward. So you had Lightroom 2015 CC which became Lightroom Classic.

Tim

I am pretty sure the dropped the CC on the classic going forward. So you had Lightroom 2015 CC which became Lightroom Classic.

Nope. That would make too much sense. Here's how it appears now on my system:

Adobe Lightroom Classic CC << new version of old lightroom
Adobe Lightroom CC << New cloud-centric software
Adobe Lightroom << My old Lightroom 2015.12 version (i.e. LR 6 but I've got the subscription).

It's really like three card monte -- keep your eyes on the cup with the ball, do not look away, do not be distracted...

Nope. That would make too much sense. Here's how it appears now on my system:

Adobe Lightroom Classic CC << new version of old lightroom
Adobe Lightroom CC << New cloud-centric software
Adobe Lightroom << My old Lightroom 2015.12 version (i.e. LR 6 but I've got the subscription).

It's really like three card monte -- keep your eyes on the cup with the ball, do not look away, do not be distracted...

That is hilarious. And will lead to a marketing nightmare.

Tim

That is hilarious. And will lead to a marketing nightmare.
Well, it's not the Marketing people who will take the support calls and spend the first 30 minutes trying to figure out what product the user is using.

Imagine what the help postings in various forums will look like for a while. :confused:

Well, it's not the Marketing people who will take the support calls and spend the first 30 minutes trying to figure out what product the user is using.

Imagine what the help postings in various forums will look like for a while. :confused:

I wonder if the support team can cross bill the marketing department.
Thinking of that, do you think the marketing team knows the applications are not the same?

Tim

My question is: can I use Adobe Lightroom CC << New cloud-centric software and not buy my storage from Adobe? If yes, that's great. If not, I'm done as I am a hobbyist and not paying a fortune for file storage.

Last edited:
My question is: can I Adobe Lightroom CC << New cloud-centric software and not buy my storage from Adobe? If yes, that's great. If not, I'm done as I am a hobbyist and not paying a fortune for file storage.
No. Emphatic no. It is intimately tied to Adobe's Cloud, a lot of the intelligence is in the cloud.

If you are a hobbyist with < 1TB of storage the cost is not terrible (another $10/mo over the regular price of the software). I have not heard pricing for more storage.

To me it was a disappointment that they locked you into the cloud, not just only Adobe, but Cloud is a REQUIREMENT. You cannot (for example) keep only your recent photos in the Cloud and archive older ones locally (using only the new product). They took the philosophy all the way -- the cloud is where things live, period; their cloud, only their cloud, and no where else (you can keep a COPY locally, but the master is in the cloud).

For people here I don't see much use for this version.
I think it's worth noting a lot of people come here to sync systems while travelling, or on remote shoots, etc. There may be people whose editing needs are more modest, but their mobility needs are a priority, that will find the new one a complete replacement.

I am not one of them. But I think they exist.

For people here I don't see much use for this version.

I've been using the new LRCC as my primary system for a long time now, and at first, it felt very limited. These days, I actually prefer it, other than some features that I still have to skip back to Classic for (merge, tone curve, stuff I expect to be added soon). It's not for everyone though. You need fast internet, and not too many photos.

Classic's not going away anytime soon, and Adobe's not under the illusion that its advanced Lightroom users will switch.

Classic's not going away anytime soon, and Adobe's not under the illusion that its advanced Lightroom users will switch.
There is an advantage of the subscription model in this case, and reason to worry less for those more aligned with Classic. in a subscription model Adobe gets revenue continually for an older product into which they have to put relatively little effort (note things like features in ACR get shared, so Classic users benefit from CC new features).

If Classic were pure perpetual, and also a relatively static product with little new development, people would not upgrade. Adobe would see it as a dead end revenue wise, and be apt to kill it entirely.

With subscriptions, if they kill Classic, there's some number of people who stop paying each month. Adobe knows to the person who they are -- they are the ones with subscriptions that are not using the cloud. Even if it's just a few thousand people, it becomes pointless to actually kill the product off, as it's a few tens of thousands of dollars they get for pretty much no ongoing investment.

So as long as it has even a pretty small customer base (worldwide though being numerous), I would expect it to stay alive and (at a low key) supported.

I've been using the new LRCC as my primary system for a long time now, and at first, it felt very limited. These days, I actually prefer it, other than some features that I still have to skip back to Classic for (merge, tone curve, stuff I expect to be added soon). It's not for everyone though. You need fast internet, and not too many photos.

No, but the writing is on the wall. And this really sort of sucks; I last year finished the migration to Lr and Smart Workflows. I also started to get into more of the middle tier editing capabilities. I was looking forward to working on getting into tone curves and other items next year.

Since September, my step-son has been taking a digital photography course, and I have been showing him some of the basics of Lr. However, we discussed this last night. His teacher is recommending students look at Lr alternatives for future projects in class. I cannot blame him.

Tim

You need fast internet, and not too many photos.

Hi Victoria,

But if I understood it right than this would mean you're using two versions of Lightroom: Lightroom CC for your limited new images and LR Classic to keep the photos which you've developed until the new version came out, right?
Not being able to move all existing images with the existing development-settings to Lightroom CC is a showstopper. This is in addition to the fact that I wouldn't be able use Excire, WP/LR and some of Jeffrey Friedl's plugins anymore.

Having the images in the cloud with the need of a fast internet-connection wouldn't bother me though.

But if I understood it right than this would mean you're using two versions of Lightroom: Lightroom CC for your limited new images and LR Classic to keep the photos which you've developed until the new version came out, right?

No, I've got everything everywhere, using a slightly messy "foot in both camps" workflow I wouldn't recommend in a hurry.

I don't see how that this can work for the "serious" photographer as, as I understand it, the new cloud version doesn't use RAW, and it uses downrezzed jpegs.Is that correct? I shoot nothing but RAW now.

I don't see how that this can work for the "serious" photographer as, as I understand it, the new cloud version doesn't use RAW, and it uses downrezzed jpegs.Is that correct? I shoot nothing but RAW now.
Not true at all. It is perfectly happy with raw and uses the same ACR engine as the desktop system (you just cannot control some aspects of ACR yet in LR CC.

Victoria,

How do you know about the future of classic and Adobe's thinking. I can only hope you are right. Too bad Adobe did not retain perpetual licensing.

The more I learn about Lightroom CC, the more reasons I have to never even consider it. No printing, flat keywords, no plug-ins, lock-in to their cloud with no option for local storage, no real interoperability or workflow between the two programs, separate catalogs, what were they thinking? Were they thinking? I'm firmly in the camp of using the Classic product now and for the foreseeable future. But if a competitor comes along with an interesting alternative, I will pay more attention now than I would have before the MAX announcements.

Someday this release will become a "case study" in business schools. So many self-inflicted wounds and unforced errors, starting with the naming scheme.

You know how and you know why you won't get an answer to that.
Johan,

No harm in asking. :smug: If nothing else, this entire imbroglio has indicated that some members of this forum are under NDA to Adobe and others are not.:D

I've been on this board for maybe two years now, and I've never seen the level of anger and vitriol directed at Adobe that I am seeing now. And that is not good.:sick:

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back