• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Clarity versus Contrast - What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJdeRidder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I was recently browsing this very informative page about all of the Basic panel sliders and how each one works, when I started to wonder what the difference is between Clarity and Contrast.

This is what they say:

Contrast
Affects the mid-tones.
The middle-to-dark areas become darker.
The middle-to-light areas become lighter.

Clarity
Changes the contrast in the mid-tones.
Increases the details in the mid-tones.
Adds some sharpening.

Are these not just 6 ways of repeatedly saying the same thing? Both sliders are used to increase the contrast (and therefore sharpness) in the mid-tones. Then what's the difference exactly? I feel a bit stupid for asking this after using Lightroom for so many years..

Clarity is "adaptive". It looks at the image's structure and targets areas or regions. So its exact effect will vary depending on image contents.

Contrast is a more traditional adjustment and also targets the whole tonal range.

John

Put simply, "contrast" just stretches the histogram both to the left and right, making dark darker and bright brighter, thus affecting the global contrast across the whole photo.

"Clarity" is also known as "local contrast", and works similar to "contrast" in that it increase the contrast, but only in the local region, increasing the contrast of edges, thus making the image "pop" and adding some sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back