1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

PRINT Can LR5 print to two printers simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by wrangler5, Dec 26, 2016.

1. wrangler5

wrangler5 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    I bought a Canon Pro-10 last summer on sale, and just finished a 700+ print run of images that I bound into books for Xmas gifts. All images were processed in LR5, including conversion to B&W, and printed on the Canon through the Print module of LR. Apart from using more expensive ink than the setup I've used for the last decade or so, it was a smooth process.

But I am accustomed to using two printers when I do this annual print production. My old system used Epson C88 printers with dedicated gray inks, driven by an old XP laptop printing through QImage. That required exporting my images from LR (I use it on a Mac), putting them on a thumb drive for transfer to the laptop, then printing from the laptop. I had 2 of the Epson printers, and could send 10 prints to one and then 10 to the other, and have both of them printing at the same time. It gave pretty good output speed, and I had a backup if one of the printers clogged up or something.

The new Canon is wireless and offers a much simpler workflow - just print from the LR print module. But it's not as fast as I had, and there's no backup. If I get another Canon Pro-10 (they're on sale again, this week only) will I be able to have LR send a batch to one printer and then another batch to the other, and have both printing at the same time? I find online discussions about using LR with two monitors, or with two computers, but can't find anything about using it to run two printers at the same time.

Thanks for any advice.

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes. As soon as Lightroom has sent a print command to a printer and that printer starts printing, the whole print task is in the printer driver spool file. Lightroom is no longer involved, so you can select the other printer and send a print command to that other printer even if the first printer is still not finished.

3. wrangler5

wrangler5 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Thanks, Johan. I had hoped that was the case, but didn't want to make the investment in a second large printer if it could only really serve as a backup. Even if it is an awfully good price. :)