Best printing settings (plugin for printing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Just got a new printer and I'm asking for anyone to point me in the direction of a blog / website that can explain the best way to maximize the quality of printing photos. I used the print tab on lightroom and was just wondering if that's the best way. I know when you save a raw photo to jpeg you are supposed to save it at 300 pixels or whatever the term is. Is that what the raw fie when you print is around ? I'm a little confused and would greatly appreciate any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The resolution setting in JPEGs is irrelevant. It is ignored by most printers. There are no rigorous rules for print resolution because it depends upon the size of the print and the viewer distance. I have a 24X30 canvas print that was printed at a resolution of 110dpi. It looks great when viewed at 4 ft or greater and pretty darn good at 1 foot. A properly calibrated monitor is essential to get true colors rendered. Soft-proofing (in the develop module) can mimic the print appearance (reflective media) on a display (transmissive media)
Here is a link for some useful information:
Support - Essential Information for Photo Inkjet Printing

Last edited:
Looks like I may look into getting. Canon print studio pro. Supposedly it's way easy. Just gotta figure out how to get my hands on it. Ty so much for info

Looks like I may look into getting. Canon print studio pro. Supposedly it's way easy. Just gotta figure out how to get my hands on it. Ty so much for info

The one problem I have had is that the black and whites that I have printed are a lot darker when printed then they are on my monitor

unless you have a canon professional printer, that canon utility wont work. I think you'll need to read more into printing and soft proofing: the blacks will always look blacker in a print because it is a reflective medium vs a transmissive medium like a screen (if these are the correct terms).

That was my fear that the canon prixma pro 100 wasn't compatible with print pro studio. Thank you C ! Can you recommend any good articles

Clee ty for that link. I will be using red river when they come in the mail and that link will help me out immediatly

The Pixma Pro 1 and Pixma Pro 10 can be used with the Canon print studio pro but not the Pixma Pro 100. The functionality of the Canon print studio pro is really no different from the LR Print module. There is no magic button for either and IMO nothing replaces learning all of the parameters that make a print. The Most important thing that you can do is to learn how the monitor differs from the paper print. Light is reflected from the paper and transmitted by the monitor. Making what you see on the paper look like what you see on the screen is limited by the shortcomings of each media. You can use Soft-Proofing in LR to mimic what you will get with your printer on your chosen paper.

I'm not sure that it has clicked with you yet how critical is is too have a calibrated monitor and an appropriate ICC color profile on your printer and paper. If you have an image and there exists an are that is (for example) a pure red (255,0,0) LR is going to send that red value to both the printer and the monitor If the monitor transmits (240, 010, 009) instead of (255,0,0) then the color will be off if the printer using a correct icc color profiles prints (255,0,0) Likewise if the wrong color profile is used for the printer then then the print image will render perhaps (214, 110, 090). You can generate a corrected dolor profile for your printer and paper using the software tools that come with your color calibration tool. Fortunately, companies line Red River Paper have done that work for you and supply icc profiles to match their papers with your Canon printer.

Clee, when I got home I was going to download the profiles from the red river website. Once you DL the profiles do they automatically show up in the lightroom print settings ? Also, I have not calibrated my monitor yet. Is there a free software that you can recommend ? What's my best bet ?

...Also, I have not calibrated my monitor yet. Is there a free software that you can recommend ? ...
There is no software, on its own, that can calibrate your monitor accurately.

You will need a puck that actually measures colours emitted from your monitor.
This puck will actually be placed on your monitor screen when you calibrate.
In conjunction with software this actually allows accurate measurement of the colour and luminance that your monitor actually projects and also allows accurate alterations to be made.

Xrite and Datacolour are the two tradenames you will need to investigate.

BTW I read Cletus' post and I heartily endorse the sage wisdom expressed there.
If you are going to make a real go at printing then you will need to get to know every aspect of colour management and softproofing otherwise the results you get will be pretty random and low quality.
I note a complaint already that your prints are too dark - this is a classic problem for newbies and is usually due to monitor luminance (brightness for the uninitiated but luminance is the correct term) being much too high.
In addition, many consumer-level monitors have real issues getting to a luminance appropriate for image (and video) editing which is usually well below 100 cd/m2 because the entire selling point of those monitors is a bright display.

The good news is that the whole learning process is doable - I learnt the entire workflow from scratch a few years ago.

Tony Jay

Ty. I tried changing my printer settings to a semi gloss profile considering I'm using semi gloss paper and it came out very smuddy. So that's another thing I have to look into

The other simple thing to watch out for is that you have colour management turned Off in your printer if you are asking Lightroom to do it.

Dave

RE: "The Pixma Pro 1 and Pixma Pro 10 can be used with the Canon print studio pro but not the Pixma Pro 100." I'm pretty sure the Pro 100 can be used with Print Studio Pro. Indeed, I have used Canon's Print Studio Pro with my Pro-100 printer for years as a plugin for LR's library module (attached screen capture). While the program works fine, about the only time I use it is when I want to make a contact sheet with a variety of small changes in exposure, saturation, etc. Print studio is good at that. For everything else, I use LR's print module. Also, I complete agree with monitor calibration.
upload_2017-1-26_9-1-44.png

Colour Management.

You will need to understand how printer colour profiles work for a specific combination of printer / paper / ink. Google for tutorials on this.

Then ..... in Lr. Print Module Right hand panel near the bottom

In this example I want Lr to manage the printing process .... So I have selected a paper profile. I use Hahnemuhle Ultra Smooth PhotoRag paper on an Epson 3800. I downloaded the printer profile from the Hahnemuhle web site for my printer/paper/ink combo and installed the profile on my Pc.
So ... in Lr I selected the paper profile I wish to use. [ Notice that "Manage by Printer" is NOT selected]

upload_2017-1-26_16-3-39.png

Using my printer driver settings I specify "No colour adjustment"

upload_2017-1-26_16-8-9.png

You will need to read your printer manual to find the specific option to select foryour printer. I am not familiar with Canon printers so will not attempt to advise.

Once grasped, Colour management is really simple, but takes a certain amount of learning and familiarity with your printer and software to get into the correct groove.

You need to start with a calibrated screen as basecamp 1.

Yep, software downloads on the Canon site have Print Studio Pro listed. I just installed it a couple of weeks ago and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back