• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Basic sync / don't sync with Cloud question

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gordon

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've imported a couple of hundred pictures to LR on my iPad. I'm away from WiFi but my iPad is connected over the mobile network. Because that's not unlimited I don't want to sync with my Adobe CC Cloud. I can't work out how to stop syncing. When connected all my Cloud pictures are being downloaded to my iPad and I guess that's using up my data allowance.

I've signed out of LR but that means I can't access my pictures. Can I disable sync and continue to select and edit my pictures until such time as I have WiFi again?

Thanks!

Tap the LR icon to go into settings. There's an option to sync only over wifi.

John

I wonder where that went, and when!

While I look for it, the other setting to change is in the iOS Settings, Mobile Data. If the overall Mobile Data is enabled, you can disable LrM.

John

OK, it's moved into the Settings section Cloud Storage & Sync and is called Use Cellular Data For Sync. I have both this and the Mobile Data disabled.

John

In LR Mobile, click on the "Lr" icon at the top left.
Choose "Cloud Storage and sync"
On the next menu, turn off the item labeled "Use Celluar Data for Sync"

Last edited:
OK but... The only option I have in LR's Cloud Storage & Sync settings is ""Prevent from Sleep".

Better be clear and say this is a WiFi only iPad, not one with a data SIM. So maybe there are differences. I'm using the mobile hotspot on my iPhone to make the internet connection.

And in case it also becomes an issue, my preference is to use Bluetooth rather than WiFi. I'm also keen to be connected to the internet while editing in LR (so switching off BT or WiFi to disable LR's access to CC Cloud would be a last option).

OK but... The only option I have in LR's Cloud Storage & Sync settings is ""Prevent from Sleep".

That "Prevent from Sleep" setting is in Lightroom proper. You need to look in LrMobile on your iPad, then tap the LR icon in the top left. That opens up LrMobile's Settings panel.

Better be clear and say this is a WiFi only iPad, not one with a data SIM. So maybe there are differences. I'm using the mobile hotspot on my iPhone to make the internet connection.
Yes, that does make a difference. Connecting via personal hotspot means the iPad is connecting by WiFi, not cellular. So there's no "Use Cellular Data" option to turn off. I don't know how you can solve that if you want to stay connected for editing, LRm will continue to sync on the iPad because it thinks it's connected by WiFi.

That "Prevent from Sleep" setting is in Lightroom proper. You need to look in LrMobile on your iPad, then tap the LR icon in the top left. That opens up LrMobile's Settings panel.

Pretty sure that's where I am John. But as suggested, ther maybe differences using the WiFi vs GSM iPad. Definitely seeing 'Prefent from Sleep' on the iPad. I'm afraid I'm no where near my desktop to check settings there.

Yes, that does make a difference. Connecting via personal hotspot means the iPad is connecting by WiFi, not cellular. So there's no "Use Cellular Data" option to turn off. I don't know how you can solve that if you want to stay connected for editing, LRm will continue to sync on the iPad because it thinks it's connected by WiFi.

I'm actually connected over Bluetooth but I think your point stands. Looks like I'll need to ask Adobe directly about this and/or make a suggestion that I should be able to control Cloud sync independenatly of mobile/WiF/Bluetooth connection.

I have both an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone has a cellular data capability and LrM has the menu item "Use Cellular data for sync" as well as the menu item "Prevent from Sleep". The iPad only works over WiFi and the menu there only has 1 menu item "Prevent from Sleep" because there is no other way for it to sync with the Adobe cloud. You have no mobile network (cellular data plan) on the iPad otherwise you would also have the second menu item.
If you connect your iPad to your computer using bluetooth, LrM is not involved and you can not get LrM photos to the cloud via bluetooth. You can import directly to your LR catalog on the computer but this will not put the items in a sync'd collection and sync to LR on the Web.

I have both an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone has a cellular data capability and LrM has the menu item "Use Cellular data for sync" as well as the menu item "Prevent from Sleep". The iPad only works over WiFi and the menu there only has 1 menu item "Prevent from Sleep" because there is no other way for it to sync with the Adobe cloud. You have no mobile network (cellular data plan) on the iPad otherwise you would also have the second menu item.

Yes, I also have both and agree with the above having now looked at LR Mobile on my iPhone.
If you connect your iPad to your computer using bluetooth, LrM is not involved and you can not get LrM photos to the cloud via bluetooth. You can import directly to your LR catalog on the computer but this will not put the items in a sync'd collection and sync to LR on the Web.

Okay but to be clear, I'm connecting my iPad to my iPhone (not computer) via Bluetooth. Now Imy iPad is connected to the internet and LR Mobile is uploading my pictures to the Adobe CC Cloud. This is what I'd like the option to prevent. There is nearly a couple of GB of pictures in my Adobe CC Cloud so I don't want them to use up all my data allowance when downloading to my iPad. And at the same time I only want to rate and do some minor corrections to the pictures on my iPad. I don't need to sync them to the Adobe CC Cloud just yet. I can wait until I have an unlimited WiFi connection or get home to sync and then have access via my desktop Mac.

So all in all it seems to me that because i have a WiFi and not a GSM/LTE iPad I don't have the option of preventing LR Mobile syncing with Adobe CC Cloud while I have an internet connection either through Bluetooth or WiFi.

So all in all it seems to me that because i have a WiFi and not a GSM/LTE iPad I don't have the option of preventing LR Mobile syncing with Adobe CC Cloud while I have an internet connection either through Bluetooth or WiFi.

Yes, that's about right. A "pause sync" option would be nice, and has been requested quite a few times, so hopefully that'll appear one day. In the meantime your options are limited....if you want to work on your iPad without it uploading, you'll need to stop using the personal hotspot feature during the times you're using LRmobile while not at home.

Yes, that's about right. A "pause sync" option would be nice, and has been requested quite a few times

Thanks Jim. Is there an official Adobe page where I can add my name to those asking for a pause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back