• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Yeah, I'll have to learn Photoshop, but what about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarkmanAlive

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Gimp?

I don't have the cash right now to use Photoshop, so what about GIMP? Is it similar enough to Photoshop so that by the time I get to Photoshop I'll have a heads up? If not, is there a particular software out there that is similar in approach to Photoshop?

I don't use Gimp, and I doubt there are many here who do, but my understanding is that while it can achieve much the same results as PS the interface is very different - so it wouldn't give you much of a heads up. You could always download trial copies of each and have a look.

( edit) Gimp itself does not handle RAW files, unlike PS and Lightroom, so if you shoot RAW you would have to use a separate RAW converter, either stand alone or plug in.

Dave

Last edited:
Both PS and Gimp have similar functions (Brightness, Exposure, noise adjustments, crop etc. can only have so many ways to be done.) But the learning curve is in knowing how to access the function that you want. Here PS, Gimp and any number of other pixel editors diverge. You probably have not memorized all of the HotKeys for LR have you? I know that I have not. The same is true for PS or Gimp. Which menu sub item do you need to use to adjust the exposure? The menu path will be different for these two editors.

I've used Gimp in the past. I'm sure there are those that will say if you have Gimp, you don't need PS. But I found Gimp to be complex, not intuitive and generally inefficient. The same could be said for PS, all but the inefficiency. Yet I found PS easier (for me) to learn, but not without some instruction first. I'm sure over time I could have become proficient with Gimp, it would have been a steep learning curve.

If you know that you are going to use PS eventually, I think you are better off spending your energy on that learning curve instead of wasting it on Gimp.

You have presumed that you will have to learn PS, but what are needing to accomplish that specifically requires PS or some other pixel editor. LR has gained many more features over the years, and a lot of folks are able to do the majority of their adjustments within the program. That does not mean that you do not need a pixel-based editor, but it is best to bse that decision on need rather than just following the heard. Also, with a CC subscription, you can pay approx. $10 USD/month for the use of CC, and be able to start and stop at will. This might address your financial concerns.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thank you very much, all, for chiming in.

What I'm aiming for (and what my original post didn't say—my fault), is the need to find a software that can do what can't be done, or can't be done well, in Lightroom: layers; panorama stitching; enhanced spot removal; compositing (to compensate for dynamic range issues), etc.

At the moment, I can't go with a monthly subscription for Photoshop, though that's down the road. So I need to find a free program that can do all or most of what I need (as noted above), and, if possible, it would be a bonus if that program "feels" like Photoshop so that when I do go with that program it won't be total culture shock.

Thanks much

Last edited:
As Ken has pointed out. $10/mo. or $120/yr. is a CC subscription price for both LR and PSCC2014. Standalone perpetual license for LR is $149 or $79 for an upgrade. When LR6 is released, it might be cost effective to get a CC Photographers bundle subscription.

I have Lightroom 5.6, so that part's taken care of. It's the 5 - 10% stuff I can't do in Lightroom that I need taken care of right now. And, as I said, I don't want to do a subscription right now, but that is definitely something down the road to think about.

There are other non-subscription paid for alternatives: OnOne Perfect Suite, Corel PaintShopPro, for example both of which offer layers, probably the key thing Lightroom doesn't offer. DarkTable is another free one, but I don't think it runs on Windows.

Dave

Well, as I say, all I really need to balance out what I can't do in Lightroom is the ability to stitch, layer, composite and enhanced spot removal / cloning. I'm not really going to worry about too much more than that.

So, I was just hoping there was something very inexpensive or free (like GIMP) that can do those few tasks.

GIMP will do what you want, it just won't ease your way into PS very much. OTOH I know one or two folks who stick with GIMP and see no need to venture into PS.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the input. Let me tell you, if I could I'd put out the $10.00 a month for PS, but I'm unemployed and quite unable at the moment. So, GIMP it will probably be.

Thanks again,

Keith

I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5. I have downloaded the complete version of this software and it has proved to be very useful.

It's a bit confusing, but Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop CC are different applications. This discussion is about things you cannot do in Photoshop Lightroom, so you need Photoshop CC or an alternative for the latter.

Microsoft ICE is hard to beat for panoramas imo; especially as it is FREE ;)

As for GIMP; I have fiddled with it years ago just so I could help with questions like yours and to be honest I didn't fiddle much as I was too used to [to the better PS]; however, it is FREE and I feel you have some spare free time to learn the parts you need

Unfortunately we are often too quick to think and say XYZ is the only way to do something. That's all fine if the money is there to do it. Modern digital photography is not cheap, and it can be very time consuming when we want to go past the average snapshots that most happy snappers would be more than happy with. That doesn't mean we have to give up; we just need to find other ways. I still use PS CS2 because it was free from adobe and I have Elements 12 because I bought that before Adobe become so nice and gave out free copies of CS2 although CS3 would have been better :rolleyes: .

GIMP may not be the best but then it is free!

A nice (on your knees :angel:) "please Adobe" letter may get you a free CS program. The worst that can happen is a "sorry no" reply. (remind them they handed out free copies before a big launch or relaunch of CC)

Good luck and I hope things in your life improve for you.

I still use PS CS2 because it was free from adobe and I have Elements 12 because I bought that before Adobe become so nice and gave out free copies of CS2 although CS3 would have been better :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, they weren't actually giving out free copies of the software. They just turned off the activation servers, so they made a serial number and downloads available for CS2 users who could no longer activate their software, and then the rest of the web discovered it and broadcast it as free software. ;) So I'm afraid a letter is unlikely to help, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back