Would like to know about My Passport Wireless and LR6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANAND MADABHUSHI

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi
I have been a photographer for 45 of my 62 years. I have become passionate about wildlife photography and spend time, energy and money in the National Tiger Reserves of India. I have been using Canon for a long time. Present kit is 7D MK II and 70D. Primary lens is the EF100-400L IS USM II. An array of other lenses and accessories.

I have been carrying my laptop to the field. I have been using external hard discs with USB cable and have been connecting to LR through the USB.

Recently I decided to use a WD My Passport Wireless with an objective to download my images into the HD with a SD card slot and access the images leisurely on return home wirelessly

Is it possible to access the RAW images on the wireless HD in lR6, process and save them with wifi connectivity between my Mac Book Pro and WD My Passport Wireless. :thumbsdown:

displayimage.php
Bamera on Boxing Day This guy had been my favourite. Passed away few days back.

Last edited:
Yes, that should be possible. The wireless disk is just another network disk, and Lightoom can handle images stored on a network disk just fine. It might be a little slow, but that's all.

Yes, that should be possible. The wireless disk is just another network disk, and Lightoom can handle images stored on a network disk just fine. It might be a little slow, but that's all.

Thanks a lot. That is a handsome Cheetah you have there.
How do I look up for images on the Wireless HD in LR. Would appreciate a response.

Just like you would do with images on any other disk: import them in Lightroom, but use 'Add' so Lightroom keeps the originals where they are and only adds the images to its catalog.

Just like you would do with images on any other disk: import them in Lightroom, but use 'Add' so Lightroom keeps the originals where they are and only adds the kmages to its catalog.

I normally keep the Raw image and the processed image on the same disk. You are suggesting that I keep the processed images in the Catalog. Right.

No, images are never in the catalog. The catalog only contains a reference to where the original (raw) image is. Lightroom is a 'parametric' editor. That means that it does not create a processed image, but stores a (jpeg) preview of how the processing is done in the catalog (that is what you see when you look at the image in Lightroom), together with the instruction (in XMP) how to process it. Only when you export an image it will really create a processed copy 'on the fly', using the instruction in the XMP info.

I suggest you keep your raw images on the wireless disk, at least while you're on the road. When you get home, you can move them to where you normally store your images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back