1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do "Save As" versions from "Edit in Photoshop", not get added to the Catalog?

Discussion in 'Extending Lightroom' started by Mahombi, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Mahombi

Mahombi New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Lightroom Version:
    Further to my previous question on the subject, it seems that it is normal for non-RAW images, edited via "Edit in Photoshop", using the "Edit Original" option and then saved as another version (e.g. a Jpeg to a different folder), not to automatically be placed into the Catalog. In other words, one has to manually import them back into Lightroom. Is there a good reason for this? I can't think of one!

2. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi Mahombi, which version of Photoshop are you using?

3. Mahombi

Mahombi New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Lightroom Version:
    Hi Victoria

My Photoshop version is CS5.

I should also say that since posting my question, I have found that opening my image as a Smart Object, seems to get around this problem. I just don't understand why it's necessary to take this route.

4. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    LR doesn't have a direct way to talk to Photoshop so it uses Bridgetalk I believe, which is a kind of scripting. There are differences in the ways that LR passes the file - if you're passing it with settings, it seems to go one way (through Bridgetalk, which it can track) and when it's just opening originals it doesn't track it. I'm not entirely sure of the logic behind it though.