• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Very slow Lightroom in iMac 5K late 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henk

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, I have read a lot about the performance of especialy Lightroom in the above mentioned iMac.
I planned to buy this iMac, which is BTW advised by the Macperformance guide, but a lot of people complained about the slowiness of Lightroom. Probably due to Adobe.

Is someone out there who wants to share his experience on this big problem?

Few things make folks madder than buying a new model X of a product only to see X Mark II announced the next week with new features for less money. As I suggested, wait for the announcements and then make an informed decision based only what is coming in the next 12 months and if it makes sense to go with the latest or maybe a close out for lower cost.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it will solve the "slowness" problem, although given the rarity of these issues I suspect it's hardware related, or software conflicts, although I'm hard pressed to suggest what those might be other than what's already been discussed (like RAM).

Some poor sod has probably bought BOTH a digital camera AND a computer only to discover the new versions of both are arriving the next day...sheesh.

Maybe one day Apple will do with desktops what is being done with iPhones, the ability to trade in and up after one year.

Hello Simon and Victoria,

I still experience very many crashes and hangs in one day in Lightroom.

I have found out LR is the cause. Not the memory. Mr. Loyd Chamber from Diglloyd found it out too.

I operated also as a root user, this did not help either.I have followed up all kind of advices. Nothing works. If you read on the Internet about Lightroom 6.5 crashes you will find hundreds of them. I am not the only one.

Again. I have the best, fastest most expensive configuration an iMac ever had and Lightroom does not work.

Simon see my recent crash reports in my mail I have send you yesterday . I cannot read them, I know you do.

I have send my crash reports to Apple and Adobe.

Adobe, Victoria help me please to solve this problem.

I can send you all what I have done till now. I can send you diagnostic reports. I have contacted every organization. Nothing works.

You haven't given us much to work on. You could post a crash log here as a file (don't just paste it into the reply box). And details about what you are doing when it crashes would be helpful. Other than crashing, we have no idea what your problem is. If you want to correspond just with Ms Brampton, a PM would be a better way to do that.

Rob, if you have read the whole history you could see that when I zoom in the Develop module using the F-key OR make many adjustments for instance deleting spots (I do a lot of work with scanning middle format film, so a lot of dust I have to remove) then in the middle of this proces LR crashes. OS restart then. If you have no idea what the problem is. THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

I
have some crash reports but It is not possible to upload this files using your "Upload a File" key. It is not accepted! It says "The following file does not have an allowed extension".
This is the file: Adobe Lightroom_2016-05-16-110003_iMac-van-Henk.crash. I have send these by mail to Simon Chen of Photoshop Family.

I am a Dutchmen, I don't understand the word PM. And I wrote MsBrampton, because she was the first who communicated with me as well as Mr. Chen.
You also could read that I can send you everything what I have done this far. I have a Word document about the whole story.

I hope more people read this. I am not the only with constant crashes of Lightroom, you can find hundreds of them on the Internet.

Henk,

PM = Private Message. Click on the "Inbox" link on the top right of the page near your name.

PM is personal message.

The crash logs can be saved as text files and uploaded.

And that's still not a lot of detail. What kind of files? where are the files located? does it happen with all image files? have you reinstalled Lr? Do any of your other image programs have problems zooming? have you turned off the graphics card use in Lr? have you deleted prefs, caches and previews and forced Lr to remake them?

And did you post the "whole history" somewhere else besides this thread? I can't recall if I saw it anywhere else.

Because Simon take over you can read the process in Photoshop Family, that's what Victoria suggested.

I repeat the following:
1. When I zoom using the F-key in the Develop Module.
2. When I delete spots in the Develop Module, this happens the most. I do this very much because I scan thousands of slides by Nikon D810 with a zoom lens and must get rid of dust spots.
Lightroom 6.5.1. crashes during work, after approximately deleting 30/50 spots.. Black screen and El Capitan restarts.
3. I reinstalled LR 3 times!
4. I did turn off the GPU.
5. I deleted prefs.
6. I deleted every plug-in, outside the ones of LR.
7. I did not deleted caches (of previews?) because I have much room on my HD. I don't know how to force LR to remake them.
8. I did not post the whole history to anyone else and also to Lightroom Queen as you could read. I asked for it. I have a Word document. Are you interested?
9. The files of which I'm talking about are crash reports and located in Library/Logs.
10.I worked as a root user.

I tried to send you 3 recent crash reports via "Upload a File" but again you don't accept .rtf format

Where is Simon Chen? He is involved and got my reports bij email.

Henk, this is not an official Adobe website. I believe Simon Chen works at Adobe; you'd have to contact him there.

And use txt (text) as a file type to upload to this board, not rtf (BTW I have no control over what this forum allows or doesn't allow, I'm just a guest like you).

You can delete previews this way: How to Force Photoshop Lightroom to Rebuild Standard Previews - Tip and Trick This should still work in Lr 6. Make sure you have a backup.

Henk, this is not an official Adobe website. I believe Simon Chen works at Adobe; you'd have to contact him there.

He does - he's one of the longest standing Lightroom engineers. He doesn't follow this forum, which is why I directed you to the bug report forum.

Victoria, thanks. I communicate further with Simon from now on. He picked it up very seriously.

I am also on speaking terms now with a senior advisor of AppleCare.

Hope this giants Apple and Adobe are willing to cooperate. The willing is there. First steps have been made.

Dear Victoria,
I am glad to say that the problems with LR on my super fast 64GB 5K iMac are solved.
Like everybody suspected, also Simon Chen, it was due to the RAM.

My reseller did very intensive stress tests for a week on everything from hardware to software and when it appeared that the OCW modules were the cause they were replaced for no costs by new ones from OCW. After that my reseller did some very tough tests on Lightroom. Everything worked. No crashes.

Still, I think LR stays on some points too slow, compared to other programs. I have send these problems to Simon.

Thank you and the other people.

Wonderful news, thanks for confirming that Henk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back