1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Synchronize Folder greyed out

Discussion in 'Lightroom Troubleshooting (ARCHIVE)' started by David Galloway, Jan 29, 2008.

1. David Galloway

David Galloway New Member

I have a series of folders that are shown in red in the folder list, indicating that LR can't view them. The effect is that the folder can't be synchronized and I can't move images into the folder. Other folders in the same list are OK.

I've tried "locating a missing folder" and it re-linked it OK and the folder name turned white; however, when I clicked on that folder again it turned red again. The half dozen folders that are already white, stay white when clicked on - ie they don't get "lost".

Also tried creating a new catalogue from scratch: set up a folder with 2 sub folders, put pictures in each, imported everything OK. The top level folder stayed OK, and allowed images to be moved into it, but the 2 subs turned red.
    Also when synchronizing the top level folder, it did not recognise (and import) a new file that I had copied into it using another application.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate and version 1.3.1

any help on this much appreciated!
    Thanks
    David

2. DonRicklin

DonRicklin Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.3 / CC 2015.3
    You may have a bad cable connection to this drive. Is it Firewire or USB? Check the connections, it may be loosing contact and thus LR thinks it is off-line.

Also please Fill in your signature with complete System, OS, Gear etc so as we can better answer your questions on down the line. (See User CP in Navbar above).

Don

3. David Galloway

Thanks Don
    The folders are on the internal HD - which is working 1''% as far as I know.
    None of the folders are critical to me at this stage - so would you recommend re-installing LR?

David

4. DonRicklin

DonRicklin Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    6.3 / CC 2015.3
    Might be worth a try.

Don

5. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I wondered about catalog corruption, but David said he's tried a fresh catalog and the same thing happened with these folders so that seems unlikely.

David, I know you said the same thing happened when you imported some of THOSE files - what happens if you import files from another drive? Same thing or do those work? I'm wondering about the folders themselves - Don, wasn't there something about compressed folders not working properly a while back?

6. David Galloway

Victoria, you may have cracked the problem - LR seems to be OK when importing from different drives. The drive causing the issues is the internal Raid drive, which as far as I know is in A1 shape. I guess I could run a disc validation on the drives and see if that does it.

Thanks to you and Don for the help.
    David

7. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Well I'm very pleased that's narrowed it done David! Now just got to figure out how to fix it!