Spot Tool Changing Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

realspear

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Started getting a very weird problem when using the spot tool. The entire photo's tone changes, never seen this happen before. See photo, it's a bit small but the only thing that was used was the spot tool. LR CC, OSX 10.11.6.

Attachments

• spottool.jpg
    spottool.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 335
I assume you are talking about the spot removal tool, not the adjustment brush.
I don't see in this photo what you are describing.
Can you make a virtual copy of the photo before the "spot tool", then use the tool on just one of the photos, then using the compare view, show us both photos in a screen grab and describe what you see.
Are you doing a "heal" or a "clone".
It would also might help if your reference photo could show the location & size of the spot removal tool before you implemented it.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean very clearly. It looks like when you did this that the black level were reset or shadows reduced.
It also looks like the clarity and vibrance have been bumped up. Her hand and face now have a redder look, as does the dress.

But something else is different. The extra "thing" in the lower left corner is gone.
The light beam from the removed light has also disappeared. Did you drag the spot removal tool a bit?

Again - did you "heal" or "clone" with the spot tool ?

Finally, what version of LR ?

If you want, post a jpeg of the photo on the right and I'll look at it. Or even the original untouched.

The thing on the lower left and the light rays probably got changed when the black point moved. However, the sliders didn't move at all.

Here it is with the processing up to the spot removal point. The jpg isn't responding the same way.

Attachments

• _P9A4617.jpg
    _P9A4617.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 282
Very interesting, looks like it was probably the dehaze. If I remove the spot first and then do the dehaze, it works correctly. Good to know, and really appreciate it.

Guess I will have to reorder my workflow for some of these...

What other adjustments have you applied? Some adjustments, like 'Dehaze', are calculated based on the entire image. Removing a bright spot can change the result of that calculation.

Great observation. I guess because I don't use Dehaze for anything other than skies, it never even occurred to me.
And even then I often just use the adjustment brush or the graduated filter.

Great observation. I guess because I don't use Dehaze for anything other than skies, it never even occurred to me.
It's essential for me, with no control over stage lighting you frequently get things like this, even with a good hood. Without dehaze, it was a lot more work to fix these.

Attachments

• _P9A4618.jpg
    _P9A4618.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 275
Actually, I like it with a bit of that "haze" in the background. I probably would have brightened her dress, etc, with the adjustment brush.

The haze is probably a taste thing, the photo wasn't finished though because I got stuck with that problem.

I am sure it all in "taste". I also like the one before the spot removal.
I'd be very interested in seeing how your final edit turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back