• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Smart Collection as the Basis for a Publish Gallery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicshow

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Is it not possible to create a smart gallery (like in Zenfolio) that uses the same criteria as a smart collection?

For instance, I have a smart collection based on pick flag, label color, etc.

How can I also create a gallery in Zenfolio that will automatically use those same criteria that I can then publish to Zenfolio?

Thanks,

Nic

Normally you can, but in a publishing service it may be called 'smart folder'.

All of my publish service use Smart publish collections/albums/folders for determining which images are ready to publish. Additionally, If you use one of Jeffrey Friedl's publish services, you can have the publish service collection mirror one of the collections in your collection panel

Right clicking and choosing "Create Smart Album" brings a message that says due to a bug in Lightroom this cannot be done in the context menu.

Right clicking and choosing "Create Smart Album" brings a message that says due to a bug in Lightroom this cannot be done in the context menu.
Perhaps I should have asked (since you did not complete your LR Forum user profile), what version of LR are you running? Are you really running a 32bit OS? Current versions of LR do not run in a 32 bit OS. If you are running a 32 bit OS, then your LR versions are limited. That said, I am not aware that there was ever a bug in the LR Publish services Although the Zenfolio plugin might be a third party plug in. I need to know the source and version of your Zenfolio plugin too. Jeffrey Freidl's plugin are not likely to produce such an error message.

Just to make sure I am stating my question clearly:

I'd like to create a smart gallery based on criteria (pick flag, label color, star rating) so that my best images will automatically go into that "My Best Images" collection.

Can I then create a smart gallery in Zenfolio that will mirror that collection?

I have tried to create a smart gallery whose criteria is simply "Source contains all words 'My Best Images" but that doesn't seem to work. It produces 0 images.

I don't use ZenFolio But I have used all of Jeffrey's other plugins at one time or other. I can think of no reason there the message that you got (except one that I will describe later). I certainly do not see the message (on OS X) with any of the other Jeffrey Freidl plugins. That does not mean that the ZenFolio folks did not release a buggy API and this is all that Jeffrey has to work with.
In the LR menu go to the Plugin Manager and click on jfZenfolio and report the version back here. You should be running the latest which is 20160715.283. If not, then click on the {Upgrade Now} button to install the latest version. Let me know if you still get that error message. If you do get that message, please post a screen shot so that I can see the exact wording and try to determine the message source. If we get to a certain point without a solution, then we might turn on logging and contact Jeffrey for his input.
There has been sufficient squirrellyness with LRCC2015.6 that I have downgraded to LRCC2015.5.1 This error message that you received might be another example that LRCC2015.6 is not ready for prime time.

I have attached one of my more complex smart collections for use with Jeffrey's jfcollectiomn Publisher as an example If you change the extension fro TXT to lrsmcol your can open it in the LR collection or Publish Service panels to see the criteria.

Attachments

• 01.02-Projection.txt
    917 bytes · Views: 331
Last edited:
My plug-in IS up to date. Here is the screen shot:
The correct answer is in the message. I get the same message if I use jfFacebook. However IIRC, it was a limitation of the social media API not a bug when these plugins were first introduced. I guess Jeffrey is now calling this limitation a bug. You don't see it on other plugins that don't interact with a social media site.
If you right click on the Zenfolio Heading line at the top of this publish service, you can choose {Edit Settings} from the context menu. This will bring up the setup dialog where you can create new Smart albums. For me this has become the standard method for creating a smart collection/album so I haven't tried it your way in some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back