restore one folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Aspy

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
We upgraded from LR2 to LR3.6 and somehow lost one folder in the process. We were able to get all other folders and their XMP files, but had to re-import the one folder's RAW images but all XMP sidecars for only that one folder are missing. Is there a way to restore that one folder without restoring the entire catalog? To complicate issues, the re-importation of that one folder resulted in many images being loaded that we had already deleted. Therefore, the last catalog backup does not have the same number of photos in that file as we re-imported. Any thoughts?

Hi there. Deleting from the catalog only removes the reference to the actual image files stored on your media. In the future you might want to flag with an X the photos you are sure you want to delete forever from your disk, and when you're ready use the Photo->Delete rejected photo command and ask it to delete the files.
If you had just deleted them from the catalog of course reimporting the folder will have the removed files reappearing.
Not sure about the XMP sidecar problem though.
HTH Bob

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I was not clear on the problem. When we upgraded to LR3 from LR2 all the folders made the upgrade without problem except for one. For some reason, that folder was missing and the Adobe hotline had us re-import it, of course without any of the edits. We have a backup catalog from just before upgrade, so I am assuming all the edits for the missing and now re-imported folder are in that particular back up catalog. However, I am hesitant to restore with that older catalog as we have added many images since then and I'm afraid of loosing these new images. I really don't savor the thought of re-editing all those images, so is there a way to restore only that one folder from the backup catalog. Also, any thoughts on way all folders but one would make the upgrade? With all the issues we have had going from LR2 to LR3.6 I am reluctant to upgrade to LR4.

I have no idea why that one folder "didn't make the upgrade", never heard of anything like that before. Have you opened the last LR2 backup catalog (using LR2 of course) to verify that folder is still there in the catalog?

Assuming it IS still in the backup catalog, I guess you'd be looking at doing something like this (after making sure you have a backup of your current LR3 'master' catalog):

1. Start LR2 and open that backup catalog. Select the folder in question in the Folders Panel and do "Export as Catalog" to create a temporary catalog containing just that folder (no need to "Include Negatives" during the export, and do not check the '"Include Selected Photos only" option).

2. When the catalog export has finished, close LR2 and then open LR3. Do File>Open Catalog and select the temporary catalog created in step 1. Lightroom should offer to upgrade it, which you accept. It will create an upgraded version of the temporary catalog, make sure you note the name and location. When the upgrade is complete, verify you can still see the folder.

3. When 2 is complete, open your Master catalog in LR3, and then remove the problem folder that you re-imported (right-click on it in the Folders Panel and select "Remove").

4. Then do File>Import from Catalog and select the upgraded temporary catalog that you created in Step 2. This should identify the folder and its contents as import candidates, and you can simply choose to "Add" the files from their current location.

That should work.....though if you're not sure at any stage best stop and get back to us.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm guess I am being very cautious after the problem we had but I wanted to double check the instructions you provided. When I try to open the back up catalog I get a message asking if I want to relaunch with the back-up. Is that the same as opening it and if so do I lose the current catalog (which I have backed up) I've not restored from a back up in LR so I don't want to loose what I've done since the upgrade.

Yes it is the same as opening the catalog. It's just an "are you sure" dialog (which I find pretty pointless actually, and have turned it off). Nothing happens to your current catalog, when you 'relaunch' another.....all that happens is the current catalog is closed and the other one is opened. So it is safe to continue.....

One thought though.....open your Preferences to check what your startup option is under "Default Catalog" on the General Tab. If it says "Load most recent catalog" be aware that if you close Lightroom with the backup catalog active then that would be the catalog that Lightroom opens next time you start it again. Might want to change it temporarily to "Prompt me....." until you've finished this recovery. Personally, although I have many catalogs (most are "test" catalogs) I have only one 'master catalog' and my startup preferences are to load that one....there have been too many situations we've come across here where a user has unknowingly been using a backup catalog for a long time without realising it. Easily done, especially as the backups have the same name as the main catalog, only the timestamped folder name that it's in actually indicates it's a backup.

BTW, slight change to step 1 (as I keep forgetting this option is available). In the Folders Panel, right-click on the folder in question and choose "Export this Folder as a Catalog". Still uncheck the "Include Negatives" box, but there won't be any box for "Selected Photos". Also when doing the export make sure you specify a catalog name and location so that you can easily find it again....

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you! It worked great and saved us a lot of re-editing. Thanks again, we appreciate it!

Thank You

Thank You Jim Wilde for the great advice. It really helped me save a lot of time. Worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back