1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Renaming External HD

Discussion in 'Equipment & Services Talk' started by irenefrie, Mar 3, 2012.

1. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Hello, I'm brand new to LR3 and finding it a different concept for me. Anyway, I bought two 1TR Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex external hard drives and they show up as "FreeAgent GoFlex Drive". I would like to rename them, maybe EHD1 and EHD2 so that my file names don't get too long. I intend to keep my photos on one EHD and back on the other one.

I have loaded LR3 on my old laptop using Vista 32-bit and also loaded onto my desktop using Windows7 64-bit. I'm just playing around right now and will finally have one LR3 catalog on my desktop with Windows7.

I would really like to change the EHD names before moving all my photos onto one of the drives.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.
    Irene

2. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi Irene, welcome to the forum.

Renaming a drive is fairly simple....just start Explorer, then right-click on the drive you want to rename and choose Rename from the context menu. The drive name will be changed to a text box with the existing name highlighted, simply type the new name and hit enter. It's as easy as that.

3. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Wow!!! Thanks for the quick response.
    Irene