• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

RAW file not tiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellsnr

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi, OK I am going to try Infrared photography but Lightroom only allows the image to be white balanced down to 2000 so you have a couple of options and one is to use Canon's DPP but for it to set a W/B correctly it needs a RAW file not tiff. I have worked out that I can export images from L/R to DPP and back but the problem is they are Tiff files not RAW. How do I make L/R keep the imported files as RAW and not change to dng so I can export RAW. I have been into the file/pref section of L/R but cannot see an option to keep files as RAW.
Hope someone understands the question.
Thanks
Russ

I confess to failing to understand the part where it says "keep the imported files as raw and not change to DNG so I can export raw". Lightroom doesn't convert to DNG unless you ask it to, in fact for most people we never use DNG at all.

Elsewhere when you say "export from L/R to DPP... they are TIFF" that's the default, but you can change export so it uses "original". The problem you are likely to hit is you cannot change it in the external file handling section (though if someone does a plugin for that, it can I believe, but that's up to the developer). So unless someone has a better idea how to get the "edit in" to work in raw, you might find you have to actually export the photos (as original), then import the results again once DPP has processed them into TIFF's (I presume that's its output).

Anyone know how to force "edit in" to use original?

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Yes realised what I was doing wrong on the import side of things but I need what I think you are saying is not available and that is to export from L/R to the DPP as RAW.
When I export from L/R to DPP even as a Tiff file the DPP software has the W/B section greyed out, why this is again I don't no.
Looks like I will have to import the Infrareds into DPP and then export to Photoshop instead of L/R.
Thanks Again
Russ

No, that's not what I am saying really.

There are two ways to edit an image externally - one is to use the built in "Edit in" feature. This automatically passes the image over, and watches for an edited image to come back, and automatically adds it to the catalog as a new image. I do not see a way in this function to have it pass raw (though it does it for photoshop, so I may be missing something).

The other way is to export the image with the export function. This produces an output photo and (as far as it is concerned) it is done. You can, though, then use DPP on that exported image, produce a TIFF, and import the TIFF back into lightroom yourself. This is not as convenient, of course, but what it does do is make available the ability to export the original (raw) image.

So yes, you can do what you want, it just takes more steps.

Oh... one thing you might try in LR for the original is a bit odd but maybe worth doing if you need more temperature adjustment. Adjust fully in LR, then take the paint brush and paint a heavy overlay over the whole image. You can also use the gradient with a tiny gradient part. Get the whole frame masked. Then use the that tool's temperature to shift the color yet more. I haven't tried it with temp/tint but it works with the other tools like shadow adjustment to give you more "reach" with the tool. You might also play with a custom camera calibration (not sure about this) or the tone curve to adjust colors. If you get an adjustment there which works, it's easy to use as a preset.

I have my Lightroom setup for this but have yet to try this since I lack infrared filters for my current camera.

You can create a camera preset (or search on Google) which swaps the red and the blue channel.

Sent from my vk6050s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back