1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Smart Collection using 'rating=0' in Lightroom 4

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by Pyrogerg, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Pyrogerg

Pyrogerg New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Lightroom Version:
    I'm starting to get the hang of Lightroom, and I'm becoming rather enthusiastic about it. That said, I have a serious frustration at the moment, which I'm hoping this forum can help with.

I can't get Smart Collections in Lightroom 4 to recognize unrated photos (don't know if this was a problem in Lightroom 3). I can get the collections to behave as expected with any value or range of values from 1 star to 5, but when I set 'rating=0', the collection matches either all ratings or none and I haven't figured out what determines which of those behaviors occurs. Adding, removing, or modifying the criterion will occasionally change the behavior. The behavior appears to be the same whether the rating criterion is set in the smart collection definition or in an attribute filter on the contents of the collection (which makes sense, as they're doing the same thing). Unfortunately, I don't have time to fiddle with it any more this morning, having already burned too much daylight on the matter. If this is a bug, and it certainly seems like one. Where is the appropriate place to report it to Adobe or find out whether they already know about it?

Cheers,
    Gregory

2. Hal P Anderson

Hal P Anderson Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Gregory,

In your smart collection choose Rating is less than 1 star. (Not less than or equal).

Hal

p.s. I can also get it to work OK if I say "Rating is <no stars selected>". I don't see a way to even specify Rating = 0.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. Pyrogerg

Pyrogerg New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Lightroom Version:
    Well, for some reason it's working now. I'm doing the same thing I was before, so I really can't explain what happened. By the way, Hal, I was doing exactly what you described. I just described it less clearly. By 'rating=0' I mean 'rating is <no stars selected>'.

Cheers,
    Gregory