• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

problem with importing from Ps to Lr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, so please be gentle. :) I hope I have the correct thread chosen. If not, please let me know and I'll start again. Thanks

I am 95% Lr, and 5% Ps. I recently had an image edited by someone else for me, as I didn't have the Ps experience.
Image looked fantastic when re opened in Ps from Dropbox. I saved it into the pictures folder for that shoot, then went to import into Lr to finish off. Now here is where I hit a problem. The image I see in Lr has the layers all moved,( so the darkened layers are now covering the parts of the baby, looks like a jigsaw gone wrong if that makes sense?? ) so just trying to work out how Lr has changed the way it looks.

When I saved the image in Ps, I initially didn't flatten it. So I went back and did that, still no different. It only changes when imported into Lr. What am I missing?

Attachments

• lushimages-1.jpg
    lushimages-1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 266
Welcome to the forum. LR does not handle Layered images. It will only work with an image that has been flattened to a single layer. IT WILL preserve Layers if present And these can then be opened in PSCC. So, Layers are not a problem in LR.
However, Layer order is critical t how a flattened image displays . It is possible the opacity settings of the darkened layers has been changed or the layer order is such that "black" areas now are above the areas that need to be exposed.

This may be a clue to your problem: "image looked fantastic when re opened in Ps from Dropbox. I saved it into the pictures folder for that shoot, then went to import into Lr" How did you "save" the image into the pictures folder? Were you using PSCC? And using "Save As"? Your PSCC save settings may have produced this image.

The original image in the Dropbox folder probably is fine. You could import the original image that you received from the Dropbox folder using the Copy option in the Import Dialog. If you do that you should see a flattened version of the image that you saw when you opened it in PSCC.

Double check that you do not have the Mask Overlay display set in Lr ....

although I doubt if this is the problem, as the blacks look too black. ....just worth eliminating.

upload_2016-8-22_14-49-7.png

I am happy to try importing into my Lr version to check what happens ...... if that it suits.

You can use WeTransfer. Will send you my email address if you want to try.

Welcome to the forum. LR does not handle Layered images. It will only work with an image that has been flattened to a single layer. IT WILL preserve Layers if present And these can then be opened in PSCC. So, Layers are not a problem in LR.
However, Layer order is critical t how a flattened image displays . It is possible the opacity settings of the darkened layers has been changed or the layer order is such that "black" areas now are above the areas that need to be exposed.

This may be a clue to your problem: "image looked fantastic when re opened in Ps from Dropbox. I saved it into the pictures folder for that shoot, then went to import into Lr" How did you "save" the image into the pictures folder? Were you using PSCC? And using "Save As"? Your PSCC save settings may have produced this image.

The original image in the Dropbox folder probably is fine. You could import the original image that you received from the Dropbox folder using the Copy option in the Import Dialog. If you do that you should see a flattened version of the image that you saw when you opened it in PSCC.

Thanks Clee,

I flattened the image and used 'save as' I had a friend remotely access my workflow last night and he found there was a glitch within the Ps Preferences, File Handling, maximise psd comp 'ask' was selected. We changed that to 'always' and Lr imported it correctly after that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me though. :)

I'm finding some fantastic help in here

Double check that you do not have the Mask Overlay display set in Lr ....

although I doubt if this is the problem, as the blacks look too black. ....just worth eliminating.

View attachment 8127

I am happy to try importing into my Lr version to check what happens ...... if that it suits.

You can use WeTransfer. Will send you my email address if you want to try.

Hi Gnits,

I'll have a look at that as well, I did end up having a friend remotely access it for me to see where or what I was doing wrong. He found there was a glitch within the Ps Preferences, File Handling, maximise psd comp 'ask' was selected. We changed that to 'always' and Lr imported it correctly after that.
Thanks heaps for mentioning the Mask Overlay, I'll keep that in mind for future imports too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back