Problem with export option "resize to fit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Ziaja

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and first of all would like to say "hi"! :)
My problem showed up (probably) after the last update. Usually, I export files for the internet using "export" and "resize to fit" with the option of "width & height", setting 1280px for width and 590px for height, which worked fine for my blog.
Before, LR recognized if the photo was landscape or portrait orientation and used either the width setting for landscape orientation or accordingly the height setting for portrait orientation, while keeping the aspect ration.
Right now, my files are always exported with these 590px which I set for height. Did I do something wrong, has anything changed in LR or is it a but?

Thanks in advance for your help and regards from Germany
Martin

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum.

Not sure I entirely follow you, but are you saying that you are getting landscape pictures exported with 590px on the width, or are you saying that all images are exported with 590px on the height with some landscape pictures thus having a width larger than 1280px? Perhaps you could give us a specific example, quoting the pre-export cropped dimensions, and the actual dimensions of the resulting export?

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!

It's working as expected for me so far. What are the dimensions you're ending up with for vertical and horizontal photos?

Welcome to the forum. You need to choose "Dimensions" rather than "Width and Height":
Export 2 Files_2016-10-03_06-29-33.jpg

Cheers for your replies and sorry for the confusion.

While exporting I set the "resize to fit" option to "width & height" and enter for width 1280px and for height 590px. As a result all pictures - vertical and horinzontal frames - end up with a height of 590px.

As an example:
horizontal frame: 885 x 590 px
vertical frame: 393 x 590 px

Shouldn't it end up like:
horizontal frame: 1280 x ... px and
vertical frame: ... x 590px?

And Hal:
If I export it with "dimensions", I end up with the following:
horizontal frame: 885 x 590 px
vertical frame: 590 x 885px

I'm confused... Used to work perfectly fine!

Thanks again for the quick replies!
Martin

The Dimensions setting specifies a box within which to place your image. If the aspect ratio of the box is different from the aspect ratio of the image you're exporting, LR will size your image to be as big as possible while still fitting in the box. That's what you're seeing.

The "Width and Height" setting specifies width and height maxima, and that's what you get.

If it used to work perfectly fine, then you were specifying "Dimensions" and your aspect ratio of the image was exactly the same as the aspect ratio you specified, and you aren't doing that anymore.

Hm, I actually was 100% sure to have always worked with "width & height"...

I just checked older exports where I got following dimensions, when I entered 1280 width and 790 height (width & height):
horizontal: 1280 x 853 px and
vertical: 527 x 790 px

Now all I get is 790px height for both...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back