Problem creating new catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

peb2083

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I have only the catalog started when LR was first installed. When I attempt to create a new catalog LR opens to my pictures folder and the Create folder with new catalog box is showing all the different folders in the My Pictures folder. At the bottom I am only given the standard File Name and Specify type box. I've tried this several different times and several different ways. I have no idea what is happening.

Thanks for any help

Paula

Just navigate to the folder where you want your new catalog to be stored, and enter a name of your choice. This will create a new sub-folder with that name, and a catalog with that name in that subfolder.

Thank you Robert. It worked.....such a simple solution. I'm curious as to why I am getting the name and file type boxes instead of the save as and where boxes.

Paula

I agree that the dialog is not very intuitive, and a lot of problems arise because users try to select an existing file instead of entering a new (folder-)name.

Beat

I guess LR simply asks the operating system to present its default "save dialog box"......

Thanks to all who responded. The operating system may be the culprit. I imagine most heavy users who write the books are using MAC. I have two books on LR3 both written by well known sources and neither of them mentioned Robert's simple solution. Not a word about where to start the catalog creation from. "Specified Files" on my save box means something different from where. That is why I questioned the different box.

Long live the Forums.....thanks so much for taking time to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back