1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem creating new catalog

Discussion in 'Lightroom Troubleshooting (ARCHIVE)' started by peb2083, Mar 4, 2012.

1. peb2083

peb2083 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    I have only the catalog started when LR was first installed. When I attempt to create a new catalog LR opens to my pictures folder and the Create folder with new catalog box is showing all the different folders in the My Pictures folder. At the bottom I am only given the standard File Name and Specify type box. I've tried this several different times and several different ways. I have no idea what is happening.

Thanks for any help

Paula

2. erro

erro Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.3 / CC 2015.3
    Just navigate to the folder where you want your new catalog to be stored, and enter a name of your choice. This will create a new sub-folder with that name, and a catalog with that name in that subfolder.

3. peb2083

peb2083 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Thank you Robert. It worked.....such a simple solution. I'm curious as to why I am getting the name and file type boxes instead of the save as and where boxes.

Paula

4. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    I agree that the dialog is not very intuitive, and a lot of problems arise because users try to select an existing file instead of entering a new (folder-)name.

Beat

5. erro

erro Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.3 / CC 2015.3
    I guess LR simply asks the operating system to present its default "save dialog box"......

6. peb2083

peb2083 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    Thanks to all who responded. The operating system may be the culprit. I imagine most heavy users who write the books are using MAC. I have two books on LR3 both written by well known sources and neither of them mentioned Robert's simple solution. Not a word about where to start the catalog creation from. "Specified Files" on my save box means something different from where. That is why I questioned the different box.

Long live the Forums.....thanks so much for taking time to help.