Print Module 11 x 14 preset

Status
Not open for further replies.

doczippy

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi, I am trying to send a print to the lab and find that I need to use the "brighten" feature in the print module to get my prints looking like I see on my computer monitor. I would like to print an 11 x 14 but the print module puts everything on 8 x 10 so my preset crop leaves margins on the paper and the crop is no longer right when sent to the lab. I am hoping there is a user template for 11 x 14 ( or larger) that I can import and work with. Thanks for any help out there.

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you want to "print" a file. What the Print lab wants is a JPEG or TIFF. You do this with the export function. If you know the printer to be used at the Lab and the ICC Profile for your paper, you can create a "soft-proof" in the Develop module that will mimic the printer/paper characteristics defined by the icc profile. When you have soft-proofing enabled in the Develop module with the assigned icc color profile, you can then make adjustments to the image to get the screen response to your satisfaction for the icc profile that will be applied. In Export you can also specify this icc profile to be included in the JPEG/TIFF file header.

Thanks for your input, I am just waiting to get a ColorMunki to profile my monitor and I will see how that works.

Thanks again and have a good Easter!

A quick comment on screen v. print. Your screen will (I hope) be in pretty constant lighting conditions (and the first thing your ColorMunki will do when profiling your monitor is to measure ambient light levels), so soft proofing gives a good basis (incidentally, pressing the "YY" button while soft proofing displays your original and the proof copy side by side).

Prints rely on reflected light, so their apparent brightness varies greatly depending on viewing conditions. If you know where you intend to display your print, you may want to take that into account when deciding how much "brightness" to add.

Dave

Thanks for your input, I am just waiting to get a ColorMunki to profile my monitor and I will see how that works.

Thanks again and have a good Easter!
While a calibrated monitor is important and a colorimeter like ColorMunki offers the best calibration, these are not the icc color profiles that I am speaking of. You outside lab should specify which color profile to use in the soft-proofing. Ideally, it would be a profile designed to match the characteristics of the printer and paper being used. You outside lab might even specify the sRGB color profile which is a screen profile for transmissive media like a display and not a color profile for a reflective media like paper. The important thing is to use the icc color profile in soft proofing that they specify since they make make color adjustments on the image received after you have tweaked it to your satisfaction.

Thanks for both of your help ( sorry so long to reply - I've been away). With the above I have printed and compared pictures to my monitor and think I have it worked out. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back