Old Question; MAC OS or Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also ... I am gobsmacked by the number of professional photographers who really do not know how to present their images (using any presentation tool Powerpoint, Keynote or anything else), usually just running a generic photo slide show based on a set of images in a folder...
Photography can be a craft, art and a business. Some people learn the craft but not the art. As a result their work is mediocre. Others that turn professional need the marketing skills to sell their "art". I think it is rare that you can find a professional that natively holds all three skills without training in two of the three. Marketing is all about presentation. If you want others to appreciate your work, you need the presentation skills to get your message out there. Simple Powerpoint skills are required for this. "Powerpoint" has become the generic adjective to describe the presentation process. In addition to the expensive powerpoint, there are other alternatives. "Press" is a web based solution and Keynote is an Apple solution for iOS, OS X & MacOS.

I give lectures on Nature and Nature photography. You can only be successful if you control the environment. I would never make a presentation without a dry run using the actual equipment involved. Because of DLP hardware variety, your either need to prepare for the "dumbest" situation (which would limit you to a 800X600 platform) or make sure that the DLP will work with your hardware and presentation app. As a result, I eventually purchased my own DLP. With it, I can present using Keynote and my iPhone or iPad but my preference is to bring my own laptop.

Finally, I (or you) may not have control of the presentation environment and may be asked to supply a presentation on a usb key. [Fallback is always to have presentation saved as pdf....so at least it is possible to present page by page via Acrobat].

Ain't that the truth.:eek: I always arrive a half hour early just to deal with these issues.o_O Mac vs. Windows is hardly the only issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back