1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

PRINT No Thumbnail Image on Exported .jpg files

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by nature2244, May 7, 2012.

1. nature2244

nature2244 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    When generating .jpg files with imbedded printer profiles in the Print Module (Print Job: Print to JPEG file) to send to my off-site lab, there is no thumbnail on the files. If I inspect the files with "get info", it displays the image size "0 x 0 pixels", however the files are full size (12-18 MB) and readable by the lab after I up-load them. On my computer I cannot view them with the standard Preview app and I get a message of possible damaged file or a format that the Preview app doesn't recognize. I was having the same issue with LR 3 for the last couple of months and thought that upgrading to LR 4 might solve the problem. I reinstalled Mac OS 10.7.3 Lion hoping that might also solve the problem. If I create a .jpg file from the export command in the Library Module, everything is OK. It is only with the Print Module.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there a setting somewhere that might have accidentally changed. Anyone have any suggested solutions?

Alternately, does anyone know of an app to rebuild the thumbnail from the main .jpg file?

Thanks, Jim

2. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Welcome to the forums, Jim :)

I cannot see a problem with embeddid thumbnails out of Print to JPEG on my Win7 system with LR4.0.

Could you upload such a JPEG to somewhere (i.e. www.yousendit.com, dropbox, ...) and post a link to it here? (Please note that your post will go into moderation because of your post count and the containing link, but it will be taken care of).

Beat

3. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    I must revise what I just wrote:

Print to JPEG also produces JPEGs without thumbnails for me. I just checked LR2.7 and LR3.6, same result. Looks like this is by design.

Beat

4. nature2244

nature2244 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    Thanks for the welcome.

Hmmm - - - now, I am all the more confused!

I cant think of a reason why Adobe would deactivate the thumbnail function on a jpeg file. It seems to defy logic. What are your thoughts?

Jim.

5. Hal P Anderson

Hal P Anderson Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Jim,
    Welcome!

I don't get them, either. Windows Explorer is able to create thumbnail icons, even without thumbnails being imbedded in the JPEG, which confused me for a while.

I can't think of a good reason for LR to omit them. If I were you, I'd go to the "Official Bug Report" site (see top of this page) and complain.

Hal

6. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    I guess the reasoning is that JPEG output from Print is supposed to be sent to a printing service, so thumbnails and/or metadata (except the ICC profile) basically would not be needed or helpful. In the meantime, many people use Print to JPEG for a lot more reasons than just to send output to a printing service.

Beat