Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi Lightroomers

A couple of questions about Lightroom performance and smart previewes.
When I try the new setting where you enable to always use smart previews instead of originals, can I see that I actually do just that?
The text under the histogram should state "Working on Smart preview" only.
Not Original + Smart Preview.
Maybe it´s more like a future enhancement request than a question?

And is it correct that zooming into 1:1 the original photo is viewed, not the smart preview?

Regards
Thommy Andersen

Good idea, request it at Official Feature Request/Bug Report Forum

Done :)

Yes, as long as the original's available.

Thanks! Then it's make more sense to use it.
Any drawbacks of using smart previews if I have the original available for 1:1 previews? Cannot see a huge difference in quality.
I have quite large Nikon NEF files at size 7360 x 4912 44,5 MB

Thommy Andersen

No, not really. The disadvantage used to be you couldn't accurately judge sharpening/NR with just the smart previews, but since it now switches to the originals when you zoom in, that disadvantage is history.

The only other disadvantage is that smart previews take up disc space, but when you consider the speed advantage (especially considering the size of your files), that's a small price to pay.

I tend to either work in "fit" or 1:1 or very occasionally 2:1. I turned on the smart previews feature and built smart previews for my last import. But I did not perceive any improvement in performance. Having read the blog, I do not follow when would the smart previews help performance? (I am wondering if I just do not hit those conditions...)

It primarily helps loading time in Fit view Tim, especially if you have large 50MP raw files, or if the original photos are on slower storage (e.g. NAS). On supersize files, it also helps general responsiveness.

It primarily helps loading time in Fit view Tim, especially if you have large 50MP raw files, or if the original photos are on slower storage (e.g. NAS). On supersize files, it also helps general responsiveness.

Maybe I will try again. However, I have all images on an SSD and only have ~20MB raw image file sizes for the Canon 6D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back