1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving the catalog and previews out of my Pictures folder

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by jhnpennington, Sep 17, 2013.

1. jhnpennington

jhnpennington New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    Hi,
    I installed the Lightroom catalog etc. into the Pictures folder as that is the default setting.
    However, I don't want all the previews clogging up my Pictures folder, so would like to move the catalog, previews etc. to a new folder, but can't figure out how to do it properly.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Thank you,
    John.

2. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

The only restriction for catalog placement is that it can't be on a network volume, but with that in mind it's simple enough to relocate it. With Lightroom shut down, simply create a new parent folder outside of your My Pictures folder, then drag and drop the catalog (i.e. the file ending in .lrcat) into this new parent folder. Then drag and drop the associated previews sub-folder (yourcatalogname Previews.lrdata) into the same new parent folder. When done, double-click on the catalog file from its new location (it's about the easiest way of telling Lightroom the catalog has been moved), when Lightroom starts go to the Preferences menu (General Tab) and if needed reset the Default Catalog setting to reflect the newly moved catalog.

3. jhnpennington

jhnpennington New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    Thanks Jim, I'll do that as soon as I get home form work.:D

4. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    OK, but make sure you have an up-to date catalog backup, just in case some catastrophic system problem happens in the middle of the drag and drop.

5. jhnpennington

jhnpennington New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    I'll be careful :cool: