1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Move Photos to External Hardrive

Discussion in 'Lightroom General Discussion (ARCHIVE)' started by Bazza, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Bazza

Bazza New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    Lightroom Version:
    My hard drive is getting full i would like to move some of my photos to an external hard drive from within Lightroom could someone direct me to a tutorial of how this can be done.
    Bazza

• :hm:

2. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    It’s actually quite simple:

• Review your backups – if something did go wrong, would you be able to restore and get everything back to where you are now? If the answer’s not an emphatic “Yes”, you should sort this out before going any further.
    • In your Lightroom catalogue, in Folders, click the + and add a new folder on the new drive
    • Still in Lightroom, now drag folders from your existing hard drive and drop them on the new drive.