1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Move Folders between catalogs

Discussion in 'Lightroom General Discussion (ARCHIVE)' started by htown, Sep 21, 2010.

1. htown

htown New Member

I have two catalogs, one is personal while the other is clients. How do I move client image folders from one catalog to another? I know I can import again, but I want to keep all the previews and keywords in tact. I feel that if i impart the same images I will loose all the metadata and keywords and all the adjustments as well.

Many thanks,
    Houston

2. dj_paige

dj_paige Senior Member

Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    You are correct that importing photos is not a good idea.

In one catalog, select the photos of interest, then File->Export as Catalog.

In the 2nd catalog, select File->Import from Catalog and point it to the just recently exported catalog.

3. Mark Sirota

Mark Sirota Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Lightroom Version:
    And then you can delete the temporary catalog.

4. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Or if they're in their own folder in the first catalog, you can skip the Export as Catalog step, and just go to the second catalog, go to Import from Catalog and point to the first catalog and select the folder you want to transfer.