Losing Original Capture date/time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anissa

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Why is the original capture date/time gone after exporting jpegs out of lightroom? I have always used a PC and never had this problem, but since switching to a MAC I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The minimize metadata box is NOT checked. All the other info is there such as camera, f-stop, shutter speed...just not the original capture date. The date shown is when the image was exported. Why? Is there a way to keep the original date? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Anissa, welcome to the forum!

Where are you looking for the capture time once you've exported? It sounds like you're actually looking at the file creation date, which would correctly be updated to the export date/time.

If you import the exported photo back into Lightroom, or try viewing it with http://regex.info/exif.cgi , what does it say that EXIF capture date/time is?

Hi Victoria, Thanks for the welcome and your help....I'm glad to be here.

I am viewing the exported pictures in preview and that is where the created date is the date exported out of lightroom. I see now where the original capture date is. Duh!! :) I am new to this Mac computer and my PC didn't show it like this. Do you know if there is a way to have the original capture date show in preview without having to hit command I? I would just like to click on the picture and see when it was taken, not exported?

Thanks again,
Anissa

Hi Anissa and welcome.
Do you mean Loupe view when you say 'in preview'? If so, you can set the overlay to show automatically and with your choice of data to display. Go to View>View Options (Cmd+J) and click on the Loupe View tab. There are 2 alternative displays Info 1 and Info 2, just select the info you want from the dropdowns. Ensure the Show Info Overlay checkbox is ticked (top left) and away you go. :)

No, I think she's talking about Mac Finder, or something like that. Of course, the file system browser shows the file creation or last modified date. Which for Lr exports, is of course the export date. Here we're discussing the differences between OS file system metadata, and image related embedded metadata.

I think we'll need some Mac Finder specific help here.

Yep, Preview in the Mac OSX default PDF app, which is also default for a few other programs.

And no you're not missing anything - the Mac OS doesn't give easy access to that data. I'd use LR to keep track of capture dates, but tell me what you're trying to accomplish?

Thanks Everyone!
Trevor, I was talking about the preview actually on the Mac, not the loupe view in Lightroom. Thanks for the info on that though.
Brad and Victoria, I do see now how it all works. I thought in the beginning that the original date was totally gone... The PC only shows the original date, not the date exported so that what was throwing me off. I was worried that if I was a second shooter for another wedding photographer the capture date & times wouldn't be there and it would be a nightmare to sync all the images in order by time. It's still there so I'm good. What a relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back