• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

lose all history when working on a copy from lightroom to photoshop and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

egosbar

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
i do all my adjustments in lightroom , if i need to go to photoshop and take say a power line out , i dont want multiply copies especially a copy without all the edit steps , i just want to edit the original and bring it back into lightroom with all the history steps is this possible , im sick of creating copies and losing the steps i just want one copy from the original to finished including any photoshop work with all steps on one photo or can i copy the photoshop step to the original photo that has the history steps

What you do not take into consideration is that the file that comes back from PS is a new derivative file. It has no prior history in LR.
Your source original contains it's own history AND a history step that it was sent to PS.

What you do not take into consideration is that the file that comes back from PS is a new derivative file. It has no prior history in LR.
Your source original contains it's own history AND a history step that it was sent to PS.

yes i take it into consideration , why not bring it back in as a history step like importing or exporting a photo is a step , id rather one copy of all steps so it comes back in with say a cloned out power line as a step

yes i take it into consideration , why not bring it back in as a history step like importing or exporting a photo is a step , id rather one copy of all steps so it comes back in with say a cloned out power line as a step
If you have Stack with Original checkbox checked, you always have a reference to the source image and its history

The problem is that your clone work is done in Photoshop and 'baked into the pixels'. That is why it can't come up in Lightroom as a history step, because Lightroom can't 'undo' a Photoshop edit if you step back in history. To be able to 'undo' it, Lightroom would have to keep a second copy without the Photoshop edits and revert to that copy if you step back in history.

so best bet would be to remove unwanted distractions first or clone in lightroom wherever possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back