Location data not exporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrm

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have found that when I export images as jpegs, whether via the standard Export... or through a Publish to Hard Drive, the location data is not included. I have NOT got "Remove location data" checked for the export - I have it set to export all metadata. I have looked for the location data in the exported jpegs using Preview, Lyn, Mylio, etc. and it's just not there. I have the most current version of Lightroom CC (just installed this morning in the hopes that the problem was fixed).

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Have you verified the presence of both GPS data and location data in the metadata panel of the original file? Is the location data "confirmed", or is it still "suggested" (the location data will be in italics if it's not been committed)? If the latter, make sure that the Catalog Settings>Metadata Tab option to "Export address suggestions whenever address fields are empty" is checked.

Thank you, Jim. I saw your reply and did a quick check before leaving for the office this morning. I set the catalog setting as you suggested, tried exporting a couple of photos, and it seems to work now. So thanks! I guess I need to understand more about how the GPS data works in Lightroom.

I could not tell for sure whether the location data was in italics as it was dark grey on a black or darker grey background - is that normal?

Jim

The dark grey text indicates that the location data is still "suggested" (i.e. not committed). I've just noticed that the text for uncommitted location data is in fact only in italics on the Windows platform, not OSX.

I am pretty sure it was dark grey even after I checked the option you recommended in the Metadata settings. How do I confirm the location data?

That Catalog Settings option does not do anything to confirm the suggestions, it merely includes the data in an exported file. To confirm the data in Lightroom use either the Library module (in the Metadata Panel) or the Map module, clicking on the labels (Sublocation, Location, etc.) which have suggestions you will then get a context menu with all recent entries listed, with the suggestion at the top. Click on the suggestion to confirm it, or alternatively you can enter your own text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back