1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightroom watermarks not showing up each time.

Discussion in 'Lightroom General Discussion (ARCHIVE)' started by Nyxxie, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Nyxxie

Nyxxie New Member

Ok I make a watermark in LR3 and went through all my selected images in the preview. Each one had the water mark. When I went to export them only about 1/2 had the watermark after export. There is no reason why some do and some don't that I can tell.

Any ideas?

2. mldiggs

mldiggs New Member

Can anyone help with this? I'm having the same problem.

3. Brad Snyder

Brad Snyder Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Have you tried Lr 3.2 RC? Which may have addressed some bugs.
    Not showing up how? In export, web, slideshow?

I believe there may be a remaining watermark bug, if you're using the Limit File Size JPG Export option. Hopefully this will be addressed when 3.2 goes to full release.

4. mldiggs

mldiggs New Member

In my case, I can see the preview, but after export, the watermark is not there. I was doing a small jpeg for forum sharing, so that might be the problem. I'll test it with other file sizes/export options. I just exported to photobucket, but perhaps I need to Print to File or something like that?

I also tried to do the frame watermark function, but I couldn't get the frame to show up at all (and it seemed to only give me gray as a frame option). In the latter case, I might just be misunderstanding the function. I assumed it meant I could export with a decorative frame and copyright info on the frame rather than the "image" itself, but perhaps that needs to be applied in another program.

5. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    3.2 final is now available and should have fixed the watermark bug.

6. drichi09

drichi09 New Member

Unfortunately, it has not been fixed on mine. I rarely had problems with the vanishing watermark before, but not it only works about 6'% of the time. If it won't work for some reason, nothing I have tried will resolve it. This seems to happen after changing to a different watermark.

Interestingly, I cannot edit a watermark and save the edited water mark. It gives me a new watermark template instead of actually editing the original.

7. Andrew Turner

Andrew Turner New Member

I appear to have a similar problem. The watermarking worked perfectly for me until the update to 3.2, now it's not working at all. Hope there's a solution out there as when it works its great. Thanks Andrew

8. Andrew Turner

Andrew Turner New Member

I had a bit more of play after checking some other forums. Looks like it works for some fonts and not others. So I got it working but not ideal as I quite liked my old signature.

9. Jenn4639

Jenn4639 New Member

I'm a week into my 3'-day trial and have had no success in getting a watermark to show up when I export photos. I've tried different fonts, different pictures, different colors...Everything!! It looks great on the preview in the Watermark Editor, but nothing's there when I export! I'm so incredibly frustrated!! I've spent hours trying to research this problem and haven't found a solution!! HELP! This is pretty much the deciding factor in whether to purchase or not...

Thanks!

10. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi Jenn, welcome to the forum!

That does sound frustrating. Probably a silly question, but are you definitely turning on the watermark in the export dialog? If that's not it, and it's rarely that simple, any chance of a screenshot of your export dialog, expanded so we can see more of it, and also your watermark dialog? Maybe we'll be able to spot something from there. Do you know how to do that?

11. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Jenn,

There seems to be an issue with LR3.2 and Open Type Fonts in Watermarking, which Adobe is aware of (see this post in the U2U forum).

Now don't ask me which fonts are Open Type, and which ones do really work (True Type, Type 1, ...), and I also cannot reproduce the issue here. But I'd suggest you try some more different fonts and see if this resolves your issue.

Beat

12. Jenn4639

Jenn4639 New Member

Hi Beat!

I'm going to keep trying different fonts but I've even tried the generic "Simple Copyright Watermark" that's already loaded in there and I get nothing with that one either...

13. Jenn4639

Jenn4639 New Member

Hi Victoria!

Here's a few screenshots...

You can see in the one of the Watermark Editor that my watermark shows up on the preview just fine...

Hope you can point out some very simple mistake I'm making before I go crazy!!

Thanks!!

14. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The simple copyright watermark might have been empty if you don't have metadata in the copying metadata field, so I'm still going with Beat's idea of the font.

Just try it with something really nasty like Arial or Comic Sans.

15. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    You might want to give the options I attached a try, they work for me. If they do work, go from there and try some other.

Beat

16. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Beat, I've tried using exactly the same settings as Jenn (Text, Font, Size, Location) and all other Export settings.....and the Watermark exports properly.

However, that was on a few jpegs....have just tried it on a DNG and a Tiff derivative of the same DNG and guess what? No Watermark! So then I used YOUR settings on the same DNG, and this time DO get the watermark.

First thoughts are that it is something weird going on between File Type and one or other of Jenn's particular settings. Quickly changed the Font in YOUR settings to Lucida Handwriting and that worked fine, so I guess it'll be either location or size or shadow coupled with the file type.

Got to go out now, maybe you'll get a chance to do a bit more experimentation....if not I'll maybe get some time later today.

BTW, question for Jenn....what file type are you working with?

EDIT: Same problem on a CR2. Bit more rapid testing, and I can finally get Jenn's watermark to appear top centre, shadowed, Lucida Handwriting font, but ONLY by reducing the size to 1'. 2' doesn't work, so the limit may be between 1' and 2'.
    However, Font is also a factor I think...as Beat's settings using size 2' is fine, but using Beat's settings with size 2' and Lucida is NOT.

17. Jim Wilde

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    OK, well I've tried a variety of other fonts, both Open Type and True Type, and haven't yet encountered a problem other than with the Lucida font family.....there may be others of course, but someone else can test those! :D
    BTW, the cutoff size point for Lucida seems to be 11....go over that and the watermark isn't produced (on my PC that is!).

At the moment all I can say to Jenn is that if you want to use Lucida Handwriting, drop the proportional size down to 11.....but if you want to use the larger size, choose a different font type (Comic Sans MS maybe?).

Sorry I can't find a magic fix.

18. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Jim,

I've also played around with the fonts yesterday and couldn't come up with a logic behind the problems. I know of a guy in another forum where Arial did not work but when using something else than Arial did.

So the best of advice I can give is trial and error :(

Beat

19. Jim Wilde

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes, it's truly bizarre...there are many fonts which "work", and many which don't. Arial doesn't work, but Arial Narrow and Arial Black do. Go figure.

And there is no consistency either.....Lucida Handwriting works fine on jpegs, but Arial does not. Lucida works on Raw below size 11, but Arial does not.

What I have been able to check so far is that when you are creating a Watermark, if when typing the text for it enter a word followed by a space and watch the preview....for all the "problem" fonts I've encountered so far when you press the spacebar after entering a word the preview disappears. The outline box is still there when you move the cursor into the preview but the text has gone. Enter a letter after the space and the text returns, backspace to remove the space and the text returns....totally useless info, BUT it tends to indicate which fonts you will have trouble with on the watermarks, and which ones will be OK. Again, go figure.

Have attached a couple of screenshots to better indicate what I'm talking about. First shot after enetering the word Copywright, second shot after pressing the spacebar.

Do Adobe know there's a problem in this area, or do we need to file a bug report?

20. Brad Snyder

Brad Snyder Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Yes, they know.

21. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Jim,

I think you can also see the difference in behaviour of different fonts easily when choosing size "fit" instead of proportional. Some fonts show in the preview, some don't.

But then, in my case, they always show in the export, even the ones that behave strangely in the test above, including all kinds of Arial :eek: .

Beat

22. Jenn4639

Jenn4639 New Member

Agh!! This is craziness!!

I've been trying to get the watermark to work on JPGs and CR2s...

Based on the info above I have now been able to get Lucida Handwriting to work on both a JPG and a CR2 but only at the small size of 1'...

Jim, did you say you got this font to work at any size on JPGs?? Grrr...

Do y'all think Adobe will be able to come up with a fix that doesn't leave us with so much trial and error to get our watermarks to export?

In the meantime, thanks for all y'all's help! I really appreciate it!!

23. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    It happens on my Win7 64 bit box with Arial. I'm sure Adobe will fix this before too long. Until then, find a font that works and stick to it (Trebuchet, Berlin, StopD, Verdana)

John

24. Jim Wilde

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    [quote author=Jenn4639 link=topic=1'7'3.msg74124#msg74124 date=1284429997]
    Agh!! This is craziness!!

I've been trying to get the watermark to work on JPGs and CR2s...

Based on the info above I have now been able to get Lucida Handwriting to work on both a JPG and a CR2 but only at the small size of 1'...

Jim, did you say you got this font to work at any size on JPGs?? Grrr...

[/quote]

Yes I did, but only using a few jpegs that I had in my test LR system. So this morning I've experimented a little more and discovered that it's not a file-type issue with certain fonts, but rather a file-size (and by that I think I mean pixel dimension). Note the "I think" there, as there is little consistency with this problem, and to be perfectly honest I would echo John's advice and use a font that doesn't have these issues!

However, FWIW, taking your preferred font of Lucida Handwriting with a preferred proportional size of 32 I was able to create your watermark using a CR2 and a DNG, as well as most of my jpegs....the key factor seems to be the need to resize (pixel dimensions) on export. With a 25mb CR2 with pixels dimensions of 5616x3744 I found that as long as I kept the long edge at or below 222' then the watermark was produced. Go up to 2221 and above and it wasn't. Unfortunately it doesn't work that consistently, as it seems to be some factor relating to the dimensions of the file....so a 4672x31'4 DNG will export the watermark at somewhere between 222' and 3'''. :rolleyes:

Do you see how crazy this is? The smaller the original file, the bigger the exported size can be for the watermark to show (which is why all the jpegs I tried yesterday worked, as they all had relatively small dimensions).

So, armed with that info, it should be possible to work out by trial and error what export dimensions you could get away with if you want to stick with Lucida and size 32....but if reducing the image size on export is not an option, you're back with finding a different font to use.

EDIT: Of course you can also experiment with reducing the proportional size as well, e.g. reducing to say 24 lets you increase the long edge by some amount (somewhere between 25'' and 3''').

More inconsistency....this "fix" doesn't work the same for Arial. With that I had to reduce the long edge to around 1''' pixels to get a watermark with a 32 size setting.

Don't think I can help any more with this....I'm just going to stick with a font I know works, otherwise I'll rapidly be losing the will to live! :D

25. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes, I can confirm some of that and agree that export size may be connected to the problem. I set a watermark in Arial font, and it appears when the exported image is (say) 1''' pixels, but not when the image is 3''' pixels. As Jim says, crazy.

John