1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightroom noob from North Virginia

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Ozgood, May 7, 2012.

1. Ozgood

Ozgood New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Hello,

Happy to have found this forum. I just purchased Light Room 4 and am eager to get some learnin on how to use it. I have also purchased Martin Evening's book and am wading through it. I have already learned several good tips just surfing the threads on this forum. I especially appreciate the attitudes towards noobs like me. :D I look forward to surfing and searching for more tidbits here.

I first got interested in serious photography when I purchased my Canon AE-1 back in 1981. I still have that camera and it has never let me down. I have many fond memories of the hours spend in the dark room.

About 5 years ago, I was seduced to the darkside and went digital. I am now shooting a Canon 30D, but never seemed to have the time to get out and shoot.

About a month ago, I learned about my company's photography club which is a fancy way to describing a small number of people who meet during lunch and look at pictures. This was the nudging I needed and I dusted off my camera and started taking pictures. I was shooting JPEG only.

One of the members, who I have designated, with out his knowledge, as my mentor, recommended Light Room. I had expermented with earlier versions of PS Elements but found the learning curve a bit steep. Especially when I did not use the software often.

I got a really good deal on Light Room 4 and the new PS Elements 10. This coincided with my decision to buy a new much more powerful computer (Birthday). More importantly, I have decided not to find time to shoot but to make time to shoot.

My interests are mostly close up/macro photography. With Light Room 4, some of my pictures even come out well. Go figure! One advantage of digital over film is that digital images are practically free so I need to adjust my paradigm to shoot more.

I look forward to being a member of this forum and perhaps sometime in the future actually writing a post or two. For now, I have a lot of threads to sift through.

2. rjalex

rjalex Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual License
    Welcome aboard. I also had an AE-1 with only a 200mm lens for a long while and sometimes miss that exposure needle (or was it my FTb ?) :)
    Ciao from Roma, Italy

3. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Welcome to the forum Ozgood! It's great a hear a little of your background, and I'm sure your newfound enthusiasm will rub off on all of us!