1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightroom License

Discussion in 'Lightroom Installation & Performance' started by Colin S, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Colin S

Colin S New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    I currently have lightroom installed on my laptop and desktop, two computers as allowed. I'm shortly going to be upgrading to a new desktop computer, especially to run Lightroom, my old desktop is practically steam driven, and really not up to the job. If I completely remove Lightroom from my old computer and install it on the new one, will I need to buy a new Lightroom license as I will have installed it onto three computers, although it will still only be extant on two? In other words, I'll still only have lightroom on two computers, so do I need to buy it again?

Colin

2. Brad Snyder

Brad Snyder Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    You get to *use* it on two computers, non-simultaneously. So if the old computer goes out of service, there's no problem with 'leapfrogging' like this. It's not how many times you've installed it, but where you're using it.

Fundamentally, it's an honor system thing. There's no rigorous authorization/deauthorization procedure.

3. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    No, that'll be fine Colin. The license allows for that, and there's no activation to worry about as this license is based on trust.

4. Colin S

Colin S New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Thanks, Brad and Victoria, That's good news.

What, may I ask, would be the best way to put it on my new machine? In the past I have downloaded the trial of 4.1 and entered the serial number from my 4.0 CD to convert the trial to the licensed version. Would that be the the same this time or would I be better loading 4.0 from the CD then updating it with 4.1. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick.

Colin

Colin

5. Kiwigeoff

Kiwigeoff Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Yep, just do that Colin.

6. Hal P Anderson

Hal P Anderson Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Colin,

Download 4.1 and apply your serial number. All the releases are complete in themselves.

Hal

7. Colin S

Colin S New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Thanks to everyone for your guidance. It's very much appreciated.

Colin