1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

L4 Catalog Previews.lrdata file

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by irenefrie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    I am new to L4 and started importing my photos and making sure that I have a back-up. But as I import and save I would like to delete some of the back-ups. Some of the back-up files have a sub-folder named: Lightroom 4 Catalog Previews.lrdata, but not all of the backups have this sub-folder. Can someone explain to me the importance of this folder and why other backups don't have it? I'm nervouse about deleting one of the folders that have this sub-folder.

Thank you.
    Irene

2. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Irene,

Before answering your question, one word about backups:
    Are you aware that the backups you perform when closing LR ONLY back up your Lightroom catalog, and not your original images? You need to back up your originals also using other backup procedures.

Seeing a "Lightroom 4 Catalog Previews.lrdata" folder in a backup folder (the folders named "yyyy-mm-dd hhmm") means that you most probably have opened the contained backup catalog using LR (i.e. by double-clicking the "Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat" file in a backup folder). By opening a catalog, LR will create a previews folder for the images contained in the catalog, if it is not there already. Looks like this is what's happening here.

You can safely delete those preview folders along with the backed up catalog, if you are sure you don't need the backup catalog anymore.

I would advise you open your catalog settings dialog and check the catalog name and path in use before cleaning up, just to make sure you're not running LR out of one of those backup folder by accident:
    capture_0004_20120410_235819.png

Beat

3. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Hi there,

Yes, I am backing up my photos on a separate EHD.

However, I think I have setup the catalog backup incorrectly.

I have:

File Name: Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat

Each of my backups folders are 2012-04-10 + hhmm

I need some help in how to change the Location.

Thank you.

Irene

4. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Irene,

You have not set up your backups incorrectly, but you're running LR from a backup catalog currently, which is not what you want.

Can you please go into folder "C:\Users\[youruser]\Pictures\Lightroom" using explorer, and post a screen shot of the folder content?

Also, are you completely satisfied of what images you see in LR when it's open? Not missing anything (besides the drive letter issue in the other thread)?

Beat

5. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Beat,

As far as I can tell everything else looks fine.

Here is the screenshot of the my C:\........\Lightroom folders (don't know why it the upload is so small)
    Lightroom.JPG

6. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Just a quick thought. For Lightroom 4 I am using my Dell desktop with Windows7 64 bit. I only use my laptop Vista 32 bit for emails and browsing the web.

Irene

7. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Can you please post a screen shot of the content of folder "C:\Users\[youruser]\Pictures\Lightroom" like this:
    capture_0006_20120411_014120.png

Btw, double clicking the uploaded screen shot before posting lets you size it bigger.

Beat

8. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Beat,

Thanks for your patience. I tried double clicking the screen shot and not much luck in making it bigger. Sorry

Lightroom-1.JPG

9. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Don't worry, I'm able to see it fine when clicking it.

I would suggest you do the following:

1) Using Explorer, open Folder "C:\Users\Irene Friedman\My Lightroom Photos\Lightroom":
    • rename the file "Lightroom 4 Catalog" to "Lightroom 4 old Catalog"
    • rename the folder "Lightroom 4 Catalog Previews.lrdata" to "Lightroom 4 old Catalog Previews.lrdata"

2) Using Explorer, open Folder "G:\L4CatalogBackup\2012-04-10 1942":
    • Cut/Paste the file "Lightroom 4 Catalog" and the folder "Lightroom 4 Catalog Previews.lrdata" from "G:\L4CatalogBackup\2012-04-10 1942" to "C:\Users\Irene Friedman\My Lightroom Photos\Lightroom"

3) Open the catalog "Lightroom 4 Catalog" in folder "C:\Users\Irene Friedman\My Lightroom Photos\Lightroom" by double clicking the catalog file

4) Check the catalog settings dialog. It should now say:
    Location: C:\Users\Irene Friedman\My Lightroom Photos\Lightroom
    File Name: Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat

5) In Lightroom Preferences (General Tab), make sure the catalog mentioned in 4) is indicated in "When starting up use this catalog:"

6) When exiting LR, make sure "G:\L4CatalogBackup" is indicated as your backup folder

Come back here if anything looks not as expected.

Beat

10. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Wow! You are an expert. Thank you so much for your help. It is working great now. Thank you, thank you.

Irene

11. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    That's why we keep him on retainer.

12. b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Glad to hear it worked out well, Irene :)

Now that you're all set (and make sure you see "C:\Users\Irene Friedman\My Lightroom Photos\Lightroom\Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat" in your catalog settings), you can go ahead and delete those backup folders (the folders named "yyyy-mm-dd hhmm") which you don't want anymore, regardless of whether they contain a *.lrdata subfolder or not.

Also, when you're satisfied on how your current catalog looks, you can go ahead and delete the file "Lightroom 4 old Catalog" and the folder "Lightroom 4 old Catalog Previews.lrdata" in folder "C:\Users\Irene Friedman\My Lightroom Photos\Lightroom\".

Then you're all set.

Beat

13. irenefrie

irenefrie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Fantastic. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your expertise.

Thank you.

Irene