1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Is processing information stored in the DNG?

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by sapnho, May 1, 2012.

1. sapnho

sapnho New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    I was wondering where the processing information of DNGs is stored? In the DNG file itself or in the Lightroom catalogue?

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The correct answer to that question is 1) Maybe & 2) Yes.
    The processing adjustments are always stored in the LR catalog along with all other metadata, flags and static collection memberships. When Save metadata to file is checked or by forcing it with {Cntl/Cmd}{S}, processing adjustments along with all other metadata are written to the DNG header, but not flags and static collection memberships.

3. sapnho

sapnho New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Ah, thanks. I was trying to understand the impact of a loss or corruption (yes, I backup) of the Lightroom catalogue. So assuming, I have save metadata checked, the DNG files themselves, can be used without having to redo the entire processing history?

4. Brad Snyder

Brad Snyder Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    .... and with a DNG, there is an additional choice {save the metadata and update the embedded preview}, which improves (to some degree) the usability/interchangeability of the DNGs with non-Adobe apps.

A second order concern is with backups, DNGs are big files, and metadata writes are little bitty trivial data changes. But depending on how your backups are configured, you may be doing a lot of backing up of large files, with the consequent bandwidth and time implications, to capture those little changes.

Ooops, I posted over top of your response. To your second question, yes, the DNGs by themselves, with the embedded data are enough to rebuild with (except for the couple of items Cletus mentioned)

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes, but you lose those things that are stored only in the catalog like flags and static Collection membership. And of course, you also lose all dynamic collection criteria.

6. sapnho

sapnho New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    That's a really good point as I do most of my back-ups online. However, the upload bandwidth here is about 10GB a day, so although that's not fast, it's fine.

7. sapnho

sapnho New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    That's seems acceptable as the biggest possible risk..