Importing from a Card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkiemom

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Under Preferences/General...I have checked to show import dialog when a memory card is detected. For some reason it isn't working for me. I always have to go to File/Import...

Anyone have any ideas why?

Look at the settings for your reader in Control Panel>Autoplay settings.

Hi yorkiemum, so is LR already open when you attach the card, or do you need Windows to open it first?

No, LR isn't open it when I attach the card. When I do open LR4, I have to go to File/Import Photos to get the photos.

I should mention that on my laptop though it works.

Last edited:
Yep, it's definitely the AutoPlay settings then.

Except that the settings look right....both Pictures and Mixed Content should be set to "Import photos using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.0 64", which it sounds like they are. So a bit of a puzzle. The only time my system fails to auto-start Lightroom is when the Screen Saver is active when the card is inserted. If I remember to knock the screen-save off beforehand, no problem...it works as intended.

You can try resetting your Auto Play defaults by clicking the [Reset all defaults] button on the bottom left of the AutoPlay inside control panel. Take note of your settings before you do so you can restore them if you wish.

Decided to reset the AutoPlay settings...and it worked! The import dialog is now showing up when I plug in the card reader!

Thanks so much for the direction. I hadn't thought about the AutoPlay not working right. I appreciate all the help.

Let's hope that fixed the problem and it doesn't happen again.

Norma, So glad that the reset worked. Thanks for the screen shot of your Autoplay settings. Everything there looks like it might be as expected, except that the checkbox labeled "User Autoplay for all media and devices" is unchecked. Since you did the reset, is it checked now?

Glad we got you fixed although, personally, I would pay money not to have Lightroom launch everytime I insert a card/device. My Autoplay menu has almost all "Take no Action" settings. But then much of my workflow is testing too.

Rock on, Norma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back