• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

If it isn't broken, don't fix it... forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
As many of you know, I've been working a switch to Xenforo forum software for a while. We will have to switch eventually, as the current software is no longer supported/updated, but everyone seems fairly settled on the current vBulletin software and it's not causing tooooo many issues at this point in time.

How do you guys feel if we stick with vBulletin for the time being, until the issues become more apparent? Are you noticing any significant bugs/issues?

I know nothing specific about either software, and you likely know all this, but I'll offer the general advice that web software is a primary target of a lot of hacking, and once software stops being patched for security issues it will eventually become too large of a risk. One of the biggest aspects is the underlying web server, which I assume you are keeping updated, but the application itself, if un-maintained, will become more vulnerable if widely used (and so likely for exploits to be found).

FWIW.

the application itself, if un-maintained, will become more vulnerable if widely used (and so likely for exploits to be found)

Yes, that's my main hesitation in delaying. Everything that can be secured has been, and I keep a close eye on things, but vBulletin is popular software and therefore a notable target.

On the other hand, it's very familiar software to a large number of members, and I don't want to upset people for the fun of it! ;)

Unless you have a desire to spend money, I would switch to phpBB3.
They even have a conversion tool available from vBulletin.
If vBulletin is not supporting the software anymore, I would plan on switching. As Ferguson stated, web server software is constantly being patched for security holes.
As a short term solution, you can monitor the some of the security lists like: https://nvd.nist.gov/ and http://www.cvedetails.com/ to determine if the vBulletin software has a known public vulnerability.

Tim

Unless you have a desire to spend money, I would switch to phpBB3.

While I don't like spending money unnecessarily, Xenforo's support has been amazing so far, and that's worth paying for IMHO. (And I already have the license... it's just a question of when we go live.)

Well, when I opened the Forum link this morning, I found I had been logged out.
When trying to log in, my username and password was not accepted, resulting in a 15 minute delay trying again.
After 15 minutes, I tried again, and it still would not accept my login, so I went off and did some other stuff.

I came back in the afternoon and tried again, I was still logged out, but this time it accepted my login. I had changed nothing. Wierd.

Anywho, personally, you could change sooner OR later, makes no difference to me as long as I can still lurk... :)

As Linwood and Tim have pointed out, it's just a matter of time before we'll be forced to leave vBulleten. I figure that it's better to leave before somebody gets hurt.

While I don't like spending money unnecessarily, Xenforo's support has been amazing so far, and that's worth paying for IMHO. (And I already have the license... it's just a question of when we go live.)

Then please make sure you install the tapatalk plugin, so we can browse on our phones. :)

Tim

Then please make sure you install the tapatalk plugin, so we can browse on our phones. :)

Tim

My only real concern would be that all the messages be carried over. Changes in the UI, I think we can all deal with that.

In the "nice to have" category, I would like the ability to download or print a multipage thread all at once. Nice to have, if you can do it.

I would second the points about security. Hackers would be after this forum's database of users to steal passwaords, since most of us re-use passwords across many different web sites. We all know better, but juggling a zillion passwords is no fun. Also, if a hacker knows you use lightroom and own a (Nikon/Canon/other camera) you could be targeted for "spear fishing." Imagine an email promoting an incredible sale on your brand of camera, at your local store, or at B&H, or Amazon. Just click on the attachment for details.:mad: Once you do that, you're "pwned" in hacker-lingo.

Phil

As many of you know, I've been working a switch to Xenforo forum software for a while. We will have to switch eventually, as the current software is no longer supported/updated, but everyone seems fairly settled on the current vBulletin software and it's not causing tooooo many issues at this point in time.

How do you guys feel if we stick with vBulletin for the time being, until the issues become more apparent? Are you noticing any significant bugs/issues?

I have not noticed any bugs or issues, and have grown used to vBulletin from having used it over the years, but another forum made the switch to XenForo last year and it seems fine. Each has a few nice features, but I know that safety from being hacked was a big issue, and I believe that the owner/administrator is happy with the switch. If you want to chat with him, let me know and I can send you a PM.

Good luck,

--Ken

Phil,

Get a password vault of some sort. You remember one password, and the vault remembers the rest and keeps them strongly encrypted. I use Password Safe because I trust the originator, but there are lots of good ones out there. You can create unique passwords and not have to re-use them.

Phil,

Like Hal said, get a password tool. I use LastPass.com and I have no idea what my password to LightRoom Forums is. :)
I just remember a couple of master passwords (recovery email, and LastPass). Other others are scrambled jibberish.

Tim

I promise! And it is a fully responsive site, so you wouldn't even need Tapatalk unless you like the notifications.

My only real concern would be that all the messages be carried over.

Yep, I've already tested that and it's looking good. There might be occasional formatting oddities, but nothing that particularly affects the content.

In the "nice to have" category, I would like the ability to download or print a multipage thread all at once. Nice to have, if you can do it.

Ok, I'll take a look at that, thanks.

another forum made the switch to XenForo last year and it seems fine. Each has a few nice features, but I know that safety from being hacked was a big issue, and I believe that the owner/administrator is happy with the switch.

That's great to know. Almost all of the feedback I've read from people who have switched has been excellent. It does take some getting used to a new UI, but they've all seen member engagement go up, which would suggest people do come to like it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Since we seem to be in agreement over the security concerns, I'll make the switch the next on my priority list, and aim to get us moved over in the next few weeks. :wtf: I'll get as much ironed out as I can before we move, and we'll all learn together!

Last edited:
As others have said the change has to be made one day as this version of VB is not supported, so why not do it now and get it out of the way, it can't be any worse than learning our way around a new computer OS. :rolleyes:

Hal,

Some password vault applications have been shown to have vulnerabilities.

If you want really robust security you will use some kind of hardware that is not connected to your computer, with some exceptions that would take us way, way offtopic.

Phil

Hal,

Some password vault applications have been shown to have vulnerabilities.

If you want really robust security you will use some kind of hardware that is not connected to your computer, with some exceptions that would take us way, way offtopic.

Phil

Phil,

But it would be fun! For me, I spent 15 plus years building a consulting company mostly focused on cybersecurity in the federal space (known as a beltway bandit). So we would actually talk about something I know a little about!

Tim

...How do you guys feel if we stick with vBulletin for the time being, until the issues become more apparent? Are you noticing any significant bugs/issues?...
(And I already have the license... it's just a question of when we go live.)
Are you under some time constraints that keeps you from devoting time to implement? If so, I can understand postponing the move. However, if at some time in the future an immediate move is required, it becomes an unplanned emergency, rather than a planned move. Since the old messages can be migrated and the new forum software is mobile friendly. I think scheduling a date in the near future and at your convenience would be the best choice.

Are you under some time constraints that keeps you from devoting time to implement?

There's always a million things to do! This is the first opportunity I've had to dedicate time to it, so I was debating priorities. It's now top of the list. I installed the update to my test install this morning, so I can get stuck into working on the skin and then once that's done, I can schedule a time to convert - potentially middle of next week, if everything goes to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back