1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new forum software!

The forum is now live again but we're still working on the upgrade. It's a massive upgrade, so we're considering this a beta release for the next few weeks. Please report any bugs and feature requests on this thread. Thank you for your patience!

Please update your profile and you're also welcome to upload an avatar so we can get to know you better.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I turn off auto-import?

Discussion in 'Lightroom Troubleshooting (ARCHIVE)' started by photoguy6405, Oct 18, 2011.

1. photoguy6405

photoguy6405 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    How do I turn off auto-import? I prefer to upload manually to my hard disk, then selectively import into Lightroom.

- When I go to File > Auto Import, it is not enabled, nor will it let me enable it... yet it still seems to be enabled.
    - I upload photos using a card reader.
    - I have LR 3.2 and Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks.

2. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Senior Member Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

File>Auto Import relates to the concept of having Lightroom automatically import photos from a designated 'watched folder' to a designated 'Auto Import' folder, useful for example when tethering and your particular camera model is not supported by Lightroom's tethering function. So you could use the camera manufacturer's own capture software and have it dump captured shots into the designated 'watched folder'.

However, I suspect you are talking about the fact that when you insert a card into the card reader Lightroom is automatically launched with the Import Screen loaded? In which case you can turn this feature off by editing your preferences.....Edit>Preferences>General Tab and deselect the option to "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".

3. clee01l

clee01l Senior Member Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    You can also set which program is invoked by windows whenever you insert a camera card by setting the default in Autoplay (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay )