1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Film Strip working overtime in Lr4.

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by RayH, Apr 11, 2012.

1. RayH

RayH New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    Today I noticed that one of the Folders I opened had, side by side, in the film strip, the original (unedited) photo and the edited photos with their various Badges (132 instead of 61 photos). So far I haven't found the way to return to the normal single photo with it's various editing Badges that I prefer.

Never had this problem and hope someone can help me get things back to normal - and suggest what I may have done to cause the surprise.

Ray

2. MrsNikon

MrsNikon New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Ray, is it your practice to create a Virtual Copies? I'm assuming this based on what you wrote. You would have your original (unedited) image and then a virtual copy or copies where you had made changes in the develop module. If that is the case, I am wondering if you had your images in "Stacks" and somehow selected them all and selected "Unstack". Unstacking would show them all displayed in the filmstrip. You know you have images Stacked when one image has a number with a little box around it indicating the number of images in the stack.

3. RayH

RayH New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    MrsNikon: Thanks for the reply. In order of your Comments/Questions: No, since the time of the Beta for Lr1- I never knowingly imported to create Virtual Copies - your description (I believe) is what I see in the Film Strip i.e.: the original followed by the edited file.
    I've (honestly and with some chagrin) never used "Stacking". SO, I do (now) see a small circle on each image which I assume identifies stackable images. Selecting a side by side "Pair" they go into a stack and I see a 2.
    I've just been unsuccessful in attaching 2 screenshots of these files in the Finder but was unable to position them after download - I'm out of time now and have decided to send this part of my response with a question. Must Stacking be done by each pair or is there a more efficient way?

My Thanks to you.
    Ray

Attached Files:

4. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Files named "...DSC0098.DNG" and "...DSC0098-2.DNG" indicate the the same file was copied to the folder twice by the OS. Often this occurs because the user has imported the same image twice and did not have "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checked on the import dialog. Could this have happened to you?

5. MrsNikon

MrsNikon New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Ray, after reading your response and seeing your screen shot, my hunch of virtual copies and stacks was a reach. I agree with Cletus, after looking at your screen shot you have imported the same image twice.

6. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    In the Menu bar, Photo>Stacking>Collapse All Stacks will, well, collapse the stacks so that only the top image of each stack is shown in the grid. To expand all the stacks so that all stacked images are shown you would do Photo>Stacking>Expand All Stacks.