1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Files cannot be read on Import

Discussion in 'Lightroom General Discussion (ARCHIVE)' started by jljonathan, Jan 20, 2010.

1. jljonathan

jljonathan New Member

I have several tif files that show up fine in Bridge and PS CS4 and Preview. When I try to import them, the previews are dark and two display a no previews available for these images. When I hit import, I get a message "the following files not imported because they couldn't be read. How come they open up and display fine in the other programs and I can't get them into LR 3? Using Mac SL 1.6.2 ,PS CS4
    Jonathan

2. RikkFlohr

RikkFlohr Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru Adobe Representative

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If you open one of the offending TIFF files in Photoshop and go to Image>Mode what color mode are they? RGB? CMYK? My first guess would be that they are CYMK and Lightroom doesn't really support CMYK.

If they are RGB we will need more information.

3. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    There are some import bugs in the beta, including videos, files from certain cameras, and... a few odd tiffs where PS is implicated. They should be fixed by the final release, but feel free to drop them on my server if you want me to take a quick look and check that that is the problem.

4. jljonathan

jljonathan New Member

They were RGB, but I opened them in PS and saved as new tifs. They all import now.

5. RikkFlohr

RikkFlohr Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru Adobe Representative

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I am glad you got them imported successfully. What was the original source of the TIFF files? I am just curious what could have been holding them up if they were RGB.

6. jljonathan

jljonathan New Member

Original source was scans. I just reinstalled system, SL 1.6.2 and all apps and these few files got screwy. Saving them out of PS straightened them out.
    Thanks
    Jonathan