Exporting jpeg images from LR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisey

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I am trying to export my photographs from LR5 to my external hard drive, but an error message keeps appearing saying, 'folder not found'. Can anyone help?

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop with an external hard drive plugged in. The images were able to be imported easily from my desktop, but even when I choose to export back to my desktop, this error message keeps coming up!

I have had no issues with exporting to my external hard drive with previous LR versions, or with my earlier trial on the LR5 I am using now.

If you can help I would appreciate it.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It would help if you could post a screenshot of your export settings. If you need help taking and posting screenshots, start with this link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capture.PNG
Here is the first screen shot, do you need more details?
Thank you.

Thanks, that's fine for now.

So you are exporting to a sub-folder called Louise of a folder called Photos which is on your Desktop. Was that your intention, and if so do both the Photos folder AND the Louise sub-folder already exist on your Desktop?

Hi Jim,

I was trying to export to my external hard drive but thought it may work to my desktop so then I can copy them over to my hard drive.

Both folders do exist on my desktop already.

OK, I think you'll find that you are trying to export "missing files". You need to go back into the Library and check to see if any of those files that you are trying to export have the small exclamation mark which indicates they are missing.

Ok, but I was unable to export before they missing file error appeared. How do I locate the missing files? I tried to find them in the folder on my desktop and even though they are there Lightroom is not finding them.
thanks.

The original "folder not found" problem can also be a symptom of missing files/folders.

How to locate missing files? It's easy if you can remember what you did that caused them to go missing, as generally speaking missing files only occur when you rename, move, or delete your files using the operating system and not Lightroom. Another cause could be that the files are on an external drive which is now disconnected. Does any of that ring a bell with you? If not, you'll need to adopt a methodical approach, such as making a note of one of the missing file names and doing a system-wide search for it using Explorer.....though this won't help if you've renamed or deleted the file, or if the drive is offline.

What's the extent of the missing files issue? Have you run the Library>Find All Missing Photos command? If so, what was the score?

Lightroom will tell you which files it thinks are missing. On the menu {Library}{Find all missing Files} Actually what LR is telling you is that the path ot the cataloged file no longer has that file at its end. As Jim has said . If you move a file outside of LR, then the path changes and it is now different from the location that LR recorded in the catalog.

Hi Jim and Cletus,

Thank you both for looking at my problem. I am in work at the moment but when I get chance later I will look into this at home.

Hopefully, I will find the missing files and all will be good. I did try finding the missing files, with the hard drive plugged in, last night. I clicked on the 'missing files' hyperlink and it took me to my folders to find them.

Will try again tonight, thanks.

A lot of people misunderstand the "Find Missing File" link.....they think Lightroom is going to go searching for that missing file, but no that isn't the case. Lightroom expects the user to know where the file is, so all that link does is to invoke a file browser which gives the user the opportunity to locate the file and tell Lightroom where it now is.

So if you yourself don't know where it is, clicking in that link will be a waste of time. If you have your drive connected, and you are still getting missing files (run that command again with the drive connected, it doesn't auto-update), you need to go looking for them yourself. Start with the Folders Panel, do any of the folders have the "?" mark or is it just individual files?

...I did try finding the missing files, with the hard drive plugged in, last night. I clicked on the 'missing files' hyperlink and it took me to my folders to find them.
in that dialog, Lightroom only opens the last available folder in the path that LR had recorded in its catalog for the missing file. If you use the {Find Missing Files} menu option, LR will present you with a collection of the files that have a disconnect with the path recorded in the catalog. You can then use Windows Explorer to search for those file names in the collection of missing files.

Thank you both for your advice. I managed to locate all missing files last night and Export! I am so pleased I had not lost all my work I had already done. I cannot thank you enough.

Your help and tips helped me not waste 3 hours of work that I had done on Monday, so THANK YOU!!!

I really like this site too, help is always on hand and you don't have to wait too long. AMAZING!!

That's good to hear, but it would great if you realised exactly why those files went "missing" so that you can avoid a recurrence.

Sadly we get far too many of that type of issue, and not always with a happy ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back