email using Google mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

crbuckjr

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Is there a way to use my Google mail and contacts when using "email photo" under the File>Email photo option in Lightroom?

My experience is that you can use your Gmail account most of the time but not the contacts. Some of the time, depending on connections, internet speeds and the moods of servers, it does not work at all.

The most dependable way to email a photo is to Export it to a temporary file, then drag and drop into your email composition. It is fast and works everytime.

That's my experience too. Don't use the built-in email client in Lightroom. Make some export presets and export the image, then use your regular email client.

I've used the Email option in LR enough to know that it works. I've even used it with my Gmail account.
There are a couple of things to understand. First, LR contains its own mail client. Or the Email option can also use your default local Mail client.

So to answer your question, which mail client are you wanting to use?
Are you using Outlook or the crappy mail client that shipped with Windows7? If Gmail is your mail host, are you using the website mail client accessed locally through your browser?

If you want to use the mail client built into LR, then you need to set up the account in the LR Email Account Manager. For that you need your Outgoing Server settings for your Gmail Account, Gmail user name and password. If you have other mail servers that you send mail from, you can add them just like Gmail bay supplying the Outgoing Server settings. The email client in LR uses the LR Address book which you will need to create manually (AFAIK, there is no way to import your addresses from another contact list).
If you want to use your local default mail client, choose the name of that client in the "From" field. Doing that will cause the message field to disappear. You can ignore the "To: field in the LR dialog as the LE Mail dialog will open a new mail message in your local default mail client app when you click the {Send} button. There you will have access to the address book that your local default mail client app uses.

The built in Mail client in LR is not very robust or sophisticated. The function has not been updated since it was introduced several versions ago. As Others have suggested, simply create an Export preset. In the post processing Section, Set the "After Export" field to {Open in Other Application} and choose your local mail client as the other application. This is exactly the same thing that the LR email function does for you when you choose your local email client in the "From" field of that dialog.

I appreciate all the help and ideas....but am too new to this to figure out exactly what to do.

clee011..or others....you offered several suggestion that look very helpful, but I can't figure out which way to go. In short, what I'd like to do is to (directly from LR) email photos as attachment using my gmail with access to my contacts (to get auto fill). It sounds like you have done that.

Can you help sort among your recommendations as to which I should pursue??

It seem frustrating that LR hasn't added gmail to its "normal" options.

thanks very much for your help.

Chuck

I still don't know what you use for a default mail client. So I can't help until you let us know.
Gmail is a Mail Server than distributes mail through out the internet. It is no different from Yahoo, iCloud.com , Hotmail, Comcast or AT&T. To access a mail server, you need a mail client (this is the Client/Server software architecture model consisting of two parts, client systems and server systems, both communicating over the internet. There are lots of mail clients that communicate to many mail servers. Gmail is just one common mail server. Mail clients can be standalone applications like Outlook or integrated into a web page and accessed through a browser like Chrome or Firefox. They can be integrated into other standalone applications like LR. Lightroom can't "add Gmail to its options because you need to supply your personal Gmail user name and password. It does not treat the Gmail server any different from Yahoo, Hotmail, Comcast or AT&T.

AFAIK, you can not call to a web browser app and send a JPEG as a mail attachment. You need to call a dedicated mail client like Outlook or use the built-in mail client in LR.

Cletus

I appreciate your sticking with me. How do I find out my default mail client?

I use Chrome browser, Comcast for internet, gmail for mail and contacts,............Outlook is installed but i don't think I use it...and don't particularly want it showing up.....

thanks

I open a tab in my Chrome browser...
You are going to need a real standalone mail app to send a photo from inside LR. LR will not work together with a browser web page. Outlook that ships with Office is probably one of the best for Windows. Windows 7 shipped with Windows Live Mail, A mediocre mail app at best. There are many other mail clients that run on Windows. Some are free. Here is a list of mail clients. You will want to look for those that are cross platform or Windows based. Thunderbird & Eudora are popular alternatives to the mail client that ships with Windows.
Your other alternative is the mail client that is included in LR. You need to set up Gmail in the LR Email Account Manager. and you will have to create your own Address book in the LR Email Account Manager. So, to answer your initial question "Is there a way to use my Google mail and contacts when using "email photo"..? The short answer is no, you really need a email app to make this function work without the simple email client included with LR. .

1. Click on the Menu item {File}{Email Photo...}
  2. in the dialog that opens, click on the From field down arrow to open the dropDownListBox.
  3. Choose "Go to Email Account Manager'.
  4. In the next dialog that opens, Click the {Add} button at the bottom of the left panel
  5. In the next dialog, Give your Email Account a name in the Account Name field.
  6. Choose "Gmail" from the Service Provider dropDownListBox.
  7. The Lightroom Email Account Manager should then look like this:
    2016-05-08_2149.png
  8. Fill in your Email address, User Name and password for your Gmail account and press {Validate}
  9. If you don't have Gmail set up for two factor authentication, the account should validate.
    1. If you do have two factor authentication enabled at Gmail, you can stop right here as the Email Client in LR does not support two factor authentication.
  10. Once validated, click the {Done} button.
  • To populate your address book, click on the {Address} button in the dialog that opens in step 2 above.
  • Click on the {New Address} button to add a new address one at a time.

...was going along ok, until I tried to validate....got the following message..from Google

Hi Chuck,
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account [email protected] from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
Details:
Monday, May 9, 2016 3:45 PM (Eastern Daylight Time)
Golden Gate, FL, USA*
We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable. Learn more.

Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:

????? thanks for going through this with me......thanks

If you read the "solution" you will note this: "Your settings will usually be blocked by Google unless you agree to lower your security settings."
If you lower your Gmail security settings, you increase the potential that your email account will get compromised. I can't recommend this as a solution.
Adobe needs to support two factor authentication if they are going to support email from the app at all. AppleMail, AirMail2, Outlook Windows Live Mail, and the Windows 10 Mail client all support two factor authentication. And I am sure there are many others that are compliant too.

The OP does not use a mail client, instead relying upon a WebMail page in the browser. For complicated reasons LR can not invoke a WebMail page either. Early on a solution recommended by me and others was to simply use an export preset calling the user's mail app (if he had one). I'm guessing there is a statistically small sample of LR users that actually use the Email option with the built in LR mail client.

OK...now I am confused again.....sorry......but worried about security......

Seems like two approaches....

1. using an export preset if I have a mail app....whatever that is.........I do have my own domain....otherwise use Google........am I likely to have a "mail app"?

2.where do I find this " app-specific password generated by Google"???

thanks for helping me through this.......hard to imagine why LR doesn't make this easy.....

OK...now I am confused again.....sorry......but worried about security......

Seems like two approaches....

1. using an export preset if I have a mail app....whatever that is.........I do have my own domain....otherwise use Google........am I likely to have a "mail app"?

2.where do I find this " app-specific password generated by Google"???

thanks for helping me through this.......hard to imagine why LR doesn't make this easy.....
LR expects you to use a mail app, not a webmail page. Almost everybody uses the mail app that ships with their OS or a better one offered by a third party or Outlook. Win7 ships with Windows Live Mail. Here is a list of mail clients. You can use anyone of them and. your default mail client will appear in the list of choices in the Email Photo Dialog.
A Domain of your own requires a Host Server and thatServe needs some software for your domain to be really useful If you want to host web pages from your domain, you need a Web Server and other Server based Software. If you want mail sent to and from your Domain, you need a Mail Server app. Places Like Wordpress will let you build Blog Pages etc. but no Mail Server. Places like Google offer mail hosting services using the Gmail Mail Server to send and receive your email under your domain name instead of "@gmail.com" Or you can use a full service web hosting company. Mail servers simply are a forwarding app on the server app that need a client on a computer to be complete. If some one sends you an email, it is held on the Mail Server until the mail client requests new mail. When your mail client generates an email, it is sent to YOUR mail server which dutifully forwards it to your recipients mail server and their mail client needs to request their new mail from their mail server to get your email. You have been using a WebMail browser front end for a Mail client residing on some internet server. As I have indicated, LR does not support emailing photos through a WebMail browser client. I suggest that you use a mail client. Probably Windows Live Mail since it is already on your computer to send and receive mail. You can set it up to be the mail client for all of the mail servers that you need to check for email.

I've used the Email option in LR enough to know that it works. I've even used it with my Gmail account.
There are a couple of things to understand. First, LR contains its own mail client. Or the Email option can also use your default local Mail client.

So to answer your question, which mail client are you wanting to use?
Are you using Outlook or the crappy mail client that shipped with Windows7? If Gmail is your mail host, are you using the website mail client accessed locally through your browser?

If you want to use the mail client built into LR, then you need to set up the account in the LR Email Account Manager. For that you need your Outgoing Server settings for your Gmail Account, Gmail user name and password. If you have other mail servers that you send mail from, you can add them just like Gmail bay supplying the Outgoing Server settings. The email client in LR uses the LR Address book which you will need to create manually (AFAIK, there is no way to import your addresses from another contact list).
If you want to use your local default mail client, choose the name of that client in the "From" field. Doing that will cause the message field to disappear. You can ignore the "To: field in the LR dialog as the LE Mail dialog will open a new mail message in your local default mail client app when you click the {Send} button. There you will have access to the address book that your local default mail client app uses.

The built in Mail client in LR is not very robust or sophisticated. The function has not been updated since it was introduced several versions ago. As Others have suggested, simply create an Export preset. In the post processing Section, Set the "After Export" field to {Open in Other Application} and choose your local mail client as the other application. This is exactly the same thing that the LR email function does for you when you choose your local email client in the "From" field of that dialog.
Hi Cletus,
I'm trying to follow this as I want to be able to access my Google Contacts when emailing photos.
I've used the built in Lightroom dialog for years and other than having to reconfigure when something radical changed with a Lightroom update, I've had no problem ...except I'm restricted to the address book I create as i go in Lightroom.
Since the emails I send go via gmail, I assume I must have something set up correctly but when I try to send without a recipient in the To field, nothing happens. As you can see below, the send button is grayed out until I add an address in the To field:
1576785073096.png

Please let me know what I'm missing here.
Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Really not getting how that image appeared twice PLUS has a thumbnail!

[mod note - fixed it!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lightroom keeps its own address book. It can't contact Google's one to list all your google addresses.

Thanks Victoria ...but I remain confused ...especially when reading this post from awhile back:

Correct Answer by Bob_Somrak

Apr 06, 2017
There is not a way to copy your address book into Lightroom. The workaround is to just hit send when the Lightroom email dialog comes up without inputing addresses or subject and then use your email client/address book to input this data and hit send again in your email client.

When I try to 'just hit send' as described ...the 'Send' button is grayed out so nothing happens.
Was Bob Somrak smoking something hallucinatory when he posted that workaround??

Really ...nearly every app on the planet can interface with the Google address book so I'm bewildered as to what is so difficult getting Lightroom to do it. Adobe is already facilitating authentication in order to make them go via Gmail ...and we could give the program permission to access our address books the way other programs do. Bob's workaround would be just fine if it worked.

I found and replied directly to Bob's post so hopefully he'll get back to me.
Thanks

nearly every app on the planet can interface with the Google address book so I'm bewildered as to what is so difficult getting Lightroom to do it.
Very little of the software on my computer can read Google's address book, only ones designed to be email clients or address books. Remember, Lightroom isn't an email app, it's a photo app. It has some very rudimentary email facilities, just like it has some very rudimentary DVD burning facilities, but that's not its main job.

Bob's talking about Lightroom passing the images over to the proper email software installed on your computer, which is designed for more advanced email features like talking to Google contacts. Do you have such software installed? If not, you might want to consider doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back