Develop module and profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

UffeHH

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, I’m all new here. Seems like a focused and nice forum so I joined in.
So, this is my problem:
I have a 14-bit uncompressed NEF-file in AdobeRGB
Import to Lightroom.
Looks a lot like a dull RAW in Develop.
In Library it´s much clearer.
A change/edit in Develop shows in Library. For example changing exposure renders a change in exposure in the Library image as well. The difference is still present though.
When exporting to jpeg sRGB the copy looks identical to Library.
The monitor is calibrated with i1Profiler/i1Display, latest software.

I know, a bad icc-profile comes to mind. But let’s have a look in Photoshop CC. Opening the same NEF in CameraRaw and the image turns up identical to LR Library. In fact LR Develop is alone among the applications using icc-profile showing this ”dull” version.

Both LR Develop and PS use ProPhotoRGB.

As you understand this makes it difficult to develop images since I have to guess the result of my editing.

Can’t remember I’ve ever seen this before last update. To make it complicated I’ve updated both OS and CC recently.

What am I missing?

Best Regards
Uffe

This does sound like a corrupt monitor profile. Try the following, change the monitor profile temporarily (perhaps you have an older version of it still installed, otherwise use sRGB) and see if that solves the problem. If so, calibrate your monitor again.

Thanks for your quick respond Johan!
Already tried that and yes, changing to sRGB do solve the problem. Accordingly made a new monitor calibration and profile to no good.

And, why don't PS suffer?

Another interesting thing; if activating proofing (is that the name? I'm running Swedish edition) in Develop the image changes and shows identical to Library and PS.

Proofing simulates another profile, so that may explain it. I don't know why CameraRaw (Photoshop) does not show the problem. Did you make a V2 type profile or a V4 type? If you made a V4 type, change this to V2. A lot of applications have issues with V4 type profiles. In fact, maybe Photoshop does work with V4 and Lightroom does not.

Tried both. In fact I've tried everything iProfiler have up it's sleeve. Had an idea LR "couldn't see" the icc so I copied it to the ColorSync Profiles folder. No difference. To me it seems like a bug in either LR or OS but can't find anything on the net about it.
Is there any kind of relevant setting in LR I've missed? It wouldn't be the first time I didn' get it

Lightroom doesn't have to 'see' the monitor icc-profile. That is done at the MacOS X level. Lightroom will simply use the monitor profile that is selected in MacOS X System Preferences. There isn't any kind of setting you missed in Lightroom, I think you're doing something wrong when you profile your monitor with iProfiler (that also explains why changing the monitor profile to sRGB solves the problem).

Yes, I agree, that's why I tried all the different approaches with iProfiler and read all info (and tried their tips) available on Xrite site.

Against that are the facts that my active profile _suddenly_ seems bad for LR and the very same profile is still okey for other colourmanaged applications and the recommended actions taken does not change those facts. Except for sRGB.

All this is true for both MBP-screen and Cinema.

Thanks a lot Johan for your input. I'll be back in this thread with an eventual solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back