• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Default cropping when selecting an image to Develope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDuckett

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi there,

I have used Lightroom for years with no problems... Until it seems getting Windows 10. The current problem I now have, that I need help with is this:

I shoot in RAW/Jpeg on a Fuji Xpro-1 so I can get a square format raw file. I import the images fine, hit develop, still fine, all the thumbs at the bottom of the page are still as shoot - but as soon as I click on one to bring it into the develop pane for some reason Lightroom crops the image in closer. the pixel count remains the same but the image is cropped considerably, ruining the composition and rendering the file useless.

Any help or advise gratefully received.

Welcome to the forum!

I tried this on my x100s (since I don't have the XPro-1), and the JPEG and the RAF come into lightroom cropped identically. They are both square, and switching from one to another doesn't change the composition. However, the raw file, when brought into cropping mode, still has all the sensor's pixels, but LR has cropped them to match the JPEG. Can you take your Xpro-1 raw file into crop mode in LR and see if the pixels you need are still available?

I suspect that LR may be doing something hinky with your camera, but a couple of screen shots would help to nail down the problem.

...However, the raw file, when brought into cropping mode, still has all the sensor's pixels, but LR has cropped them to match the JPEG. Can you take your Xpro-1 raw file into crop mode in LR and see if the pixels you need are still available?
The LR crop tool has two slightly different crop presets: "Original" & "As Shot". "Original" sets the crop window to the full display of pixels present as recorded by the camera. "As Shot" honors any in camera crop settings. For most cameras, "Original" & "As Shot" display the same pixels. In Develop, LR defaults to "As Shot". I believe it was in response to the Fuji cameras that LR4 incorporated the "Original" & "As Shot" options to accommodate these differences in crop characteristics.

Hi there and thank you for trying to help.

Lr only imports the square raw and no when I go to the crop tool the pixels aren't there.

I've also tried original and as shot and no difference

Hi JDuckett, welcome to the forum!

Can you upload one of the files somewhere (Dropbox, www.wetransfer.com, something like that) so we can try it with your file?

Thank you Victoria,

Yes certainly but give me u awhile. I'm on my phone as the pc I use for photography is not connected to WiFi. Let me load Norton, connect to WiFi and I'll then upload a file (and a screen shot).
Again thank.you.

Don't worry, I'm sure there's a way. You say your photography computer isn't connected to the internet? Do you have another that is? If so, you could copy the files onto a USB stick from your photography computer and plug it into another one.

I guess I'm the least experienced Lr user among the posters in this thread, so this might be a bit cheeky .... but could it be that the picture is just modified by the lens correction function - therefore "distorting" the border and Lr has to crop to make it a clean square picture again? (or maybe even "Upright" is set as standard setting during import?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back