• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Corrupted Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelle

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hello everyone!
I am new to this site and am here because as you can see from the title, I have a big problem.
I don't even know where to start...The message I was/am receiving is " The Lightroom Catalog is corrupt and cannot be used or backed up until it is repaired" I tried repairing, nothing happens.
Right now where I am at is someone restored the catalog and most everything was lost except for a few collections. It shows there are x amount of images in the collection but they are just empty boxes, I'm assuming not attached to the original file...? These collections are done and I was just waiting to export them so I would love nothing more than to not lose all that work.

From what I've read this would be no big deal had I backed up my Catalogs. Trust me, I have learned my lesson because I don't have a backup and I now see why that would have been a great idea. When it comes to Lightroom, I know how to edit a photo and that's where my knowledge ends. I'm embarrassed with myself that this happened and I know going forward I am going to do things differently so this doesn't happen again. In the meantime, I'm desperate for help. I really have no idea what I'm doing and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Here are two screenshots of what the restored Catalog looks like right now

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-08-19 07.35.57.png
    Screenshot 2016-08-19 07.35.57.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Screenshot 2016-08-22 10.55.54.png
    Screenshot 2016-08-22 10.55.54.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 243
Just to clarify... LR frequently will ask to backup when you exit (I do not recall what the default is, but I think the default is to ask occasionally).

You never said yes? Never?

The default location I think is in a folder inside the same folder as the catalog, and I think it says something like "Catalog Backups" or "LR Catalog Backups". Nothing like that anywhere?

I hate to belabor a sore point if you are sure, but sometimes people don't even realize they may have catalog backups just from exiting and saying yes, in the last.

And you haven't backed up the computer itself, ever? So you don't have a backup, like on a external drive or cloud backup?

Also, make sure you've read:

Disaster strikes - a corrupted catalog! | The Lightroom Queen

Mostly because it shows some clues how to look for backups.

Someone will likely show up soon who may be helpful in actually fixing it if corrupt, I just wanted to make sure you've exhausted all possibility of backups before you start changing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back