Cookie policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think the Forum software got infected with a Google Widget. I see this too.

:(

Don

No infection, it's a response to the EU "Cookie Law".....just about every place I've visited in recent weeks/months have some similar "do you accept cookies" pop-up.

Here's one example from a local newspaper web-site:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Odd, I've just started seeing it today, and only here on LRF.

If you choose 'X' it takes you directly to Google. What gives?

Well, "X" means "I don't accept the cookie policy of this site (LRF)", so it shouldn't be a surprise that you are taken away from the site.

Not seeing this at all.
Using the 'Black' forum skin, Win 7 x64, Firefox with Adblock Plus AND AdMuncher.

I saw this today for the first time. I use Chrome but AFAIK, there have been no Chrome updates to trigger this message. And so far this is the only website. Also I don't think I am subject to the EU Cookie Law. I did make some adjustments to the Ghostery plugin today and thought that might have caused it.

I saw it, too. Started today. Firefox. I'm sure Jim is correct.

Hal

Did any of you click on the "Read More" link? Takes you to the FAQ section of the web-site, specifically the Privacy Policy, from which you'll see that it was updated today....and the cookie element of that policy is what you are being asked to accept.

I'm a forum admin on another site and can confirm that a few months back it became EU law to provide users of websites with information about the use of cookies. Sites will implement some kind of announcement to that effect. Web sites outside the EU are not affected.

I would guess that Victoria (or her web guru if she has one) has added this new feature to comply with said EU Law. If you don't accept the cookie policy you can't use the web site (it's a forum and won't really work without cookies) and so get forwarded on to another website, in this case Google, although that's probably arbitrary and you could be forwarded to any other site. It's nothing to do with Google or any specific browser.

Actually it's one of the better implementations I've seen. We also use vBulletin software for our forum, so I'll have to see if I can steal it ;-)

Hello! Yes, sorry, it's me. I haven't finished yet - I need to get the NO to redirect to a page on this site explaining that they can't use it without cookies, and finish off the privacy policy but it got a bit late last night. I'm all of about 6 months late complying with the new EU law. Because I'm based in the UK the site has to comply, even though it's hosted in the US. There may be a way to hide it depending on where you're browsing from, but the law's a minefield and I haven't figured that out yet. Once you've said yes the first time, you shouldn't see it again anyway.

Greg - here you go! http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=284819

It showed up just the one time, I'm not seeing it this morning. Thanks for the link.

I found out why I have not been seeing this, I had checked the "keep me logged in" box, and was thusly always logged in.
Today due to a settings change, my cookies were deleted, and when I called up the Forum, I saw the notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back